Does anyone know how to make Air plants,/Ball moss/Tillandsia produce pups?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sgooosh

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm wondering how to induce pup production on these interesting plants.
I've tried adding hormones to them, and it might have worked on one species, but not the other one.
The hormones are "Keiki cream" or hormones for orchids.

We grow a variety of Tillandsia's but we are not experts. We had one two flower and one pup, with the pup and flower now about 6 months old. At first none of them grew well but we increased their light and watering and they grow much better now, when we changed how we treat them the 2 of the same variety, don't ask me to name it, (crescent cross section on the leaves, and the leaves follow contorted growth form).

I feel the instructions on watering is too low. We now water them on the same cycle as our water changes for the aquariums, once a week. They get a bucket of the water from the fish tank, and we place them in this bucket for at least 2 hours. When the plants come out they are softer and larger (leaves not as contorted), they then get placed on a window sill facing North East, but the also get light through nearby South East facing windows. We have about 7 varieties all noticeably growing well now. We no longer bother with spraying them with water. Temp between 65 F to 85.

I've read that the parent plants often pup during/after blooming, but then die. Of the two that bloomed one died soon afterwards without a pup, and the one that lived pupped, but is still vigorously growing. Still in the high learning stage with these plants, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

My point is make sure they get enough water, I use fish water because I believe it provides some micro-nutrients.

We grow a variety of Tillandsia's but we are not experts. We had one two flower and one pup, with the pup and flower now about 6 months old. At first none of them grew well but we increased their light and watering and they grow much better now, when we changed how we treat them the 2 of the same variety, don't ask me to name it, (crescent cross section on the leaves, and the leaves follow contorted growth form).

I feel the instructions on watering is too low. We now water them on the same cycle as our water changes for the aquariums, once a week. They get a bucket of the water from the fish tank, and we place them in this bucket for at least 2 hours. When the plants come out they are softer and larger (leaves not as contorted), they then get placed on a window sill facing North East, but the also get light through nearby South East facing windows. We have about 7 varieties all noticeably growing well now. We no longer bother with spraying them with water. Temp between 65 F to 85.

I've read that the parent plants often pup during/after blooming, but then die. Of the two that bloomed one died soon afterwards without a pup, and the one that lived pupped, but is still vigorously growing. Still in the high learning stage with these plants, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.

My point is make sure they get enough water, I use fish water because I believe it provides some micro-nutrients.
thanks, Ill be sure to use some fish water next time.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back