Does anyone here use chillers?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eatyourpeas

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am very new to saltwater tanks and will need a chiller but know nothing about them. Any advice as to what to look for, brands, reference setups?
Much appreciated :)

never used one, if the fish can't live in semi warm water, they die.

I am very new to saltwater tanks and will need a chiller but know nothing about them. Any advice as to what to look for, brands, reference setups?
Much appreciated :)
You might have better luck on a reefing site, those guys embrace high tech stuff. . Someone on Reef 2 Reef help me with my Herbie drain system.

I also think they may be very interested in your project, just post a picture of a Grunt Sculpin, they are so adorable! You pull this off, it will be an amazing tank!

I was going to suggest looking into thermoelectric devices (Peltier cooler) but I doubt they would work in summer time heat.

I'm interested in this too. We're thinking about converting the 150g downtown into a Wyoming native tank, which would require cooler than room temperature.

@WhistlingBadger Are you looking at housing the chiller in the same room as the tank?

Also, came across this exhibit at the Seattle Aquarium and reminded me of your Wyoming biotope:

1614053869492.png

Yeah, it would have to be in the same room, probably something that would fit under the cabinet. Whooo boy, those things are expensive.

In the past, I was thinking of getting a chiller to start a marine tank.
But after listening to some people who shared that when they turned on their chiller, the noise is so loud and it sounds like a washing machine, I gave up the idea. LOL
And some have to turned off their chiller at night as the noise is too loud.

Another thing is, the power consumption of chiller is easily a few times higher than our aquarium filters & lightings.

Anyway, find a reliable brand with good power efficiency and quiet operation.

If you are keeping reef system, you will definitely need a chiller.
The corals will die under warmer temperature.
The world corals reef are dying due to the global warming.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back