Does anyone have FW clams?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

freshwatergal

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting some to put in my big tank. Hopefully to help cut down on the algae problem I am having.

So I was just wondering if anyone has them, or has had experience for them?

Thanks in advance,
Tiff

I had two for awhile, but I eventually got rid of them.

I had heard that when they die, they release all kinds of toxins (although, I don't think that's real acurate).

Anyway, I never saw them, since they were always buried underneath the substrate.

Not sure how they would help with an algae problem though. :unsure: They are filter feeders, and I'm not sure if that would effect the algae. Maybe taking up more nurtients....but it didn't seem to cut down on my algae when I had them.

Well, I have been doing some reading on them lately. And they said that yes they are filter feeders, so I would imagine if there were algea spores in the water, they would take them out. My biggest problem right now is green algea water. I have a towel wrapped around the tank to try and get rid of it, but I hate not being able to see my fish.

Thanks for the advice though.
Tiff

dixaisy930 said:
I had heard that when they die, they release all kinds of toxins (although, I don't think that's real acurate).
I've heard that too, also something about the sperm they release during mating being highly toxic to fish :unsure:

They should take the green water down. that or you could get a start to a daphnia culture and have them cleen the tank (they may become fish food before they are done though.)

Opcn

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back