Does anybody know what this is? Ich? Lymphocystis? Fungal Growth?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

paulwilky76

Reaction score
Hi there,

One of my platies has been showing signs of reduced energy in the last few days and spends a lot of its time sitting at the bottom of the tank motionless. The fins are also clamped.

I then noticed a small white spot that had formed on one side of its body (convex) near the gill area. Another spot formed on the opposite side just above the eye which has slowly been getting larger. It doesn't seem to be ich/white spot (but I could be completely wrong....!), and the only other disease I can guess this might be (from reading online) is Lymphocystis.

I've been doing daily 40-60% water changes over the last few days and have used API Aquarium Salt the last two times. But seeing no improvement, and in fact, it seems to be getting worse slowly. I started using the King British White Spot Control treatment last night, which I have to use every 48 hours.

The three other platies are beginning to get this growth on their skin in the same locations......and I'm getting worried.

Any suggestions?

Does anybody have any ideas what this could be, and any suggested treatment?

I've attached some photos; a couple are clear, a couple aren't - always difficult to get nice photos when they move about so quickly!

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_7827.jpeg
    IMG_7827.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7828.jpeg
    IMG_7828.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_7829.jpeg
    IMG_7829.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7853.jpeg
    IMG_7853.jpeg
    178.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_7866.jpeg
    IMG_7866.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 81
Hi, do you know what your water parameters are at all?

I can see the white patches you are referring too, I can also see that your Platy is clamping it’s fins, and another Platy at the water surface. All of these indicate a water quality problem to me. I know you have been doing large partial water changes over the last few days, but maybe the toxins are already in your tap water, or the problem is with the waters chemistry.

It is not white spot.
it is not Lymphocystis.
it is not fungus.

It is excess mucous on a wound. The fish is skinny and emaciated. It could have gill flukes and or intestinal worms. It is probably being bullied and someone bit it on the head or it damaged itself. The fish then produces more mucous to cover the wound.

Clean water, clean gravel, clean filter, salt and more food.

Monitor its poop and see what that looks like. If the poop is white and stringy the fish has intestinal worms and needs treating. If the poop is normal coloured then it has gill flukes and needs treating.

Salt will normally treat gill flukes. Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in tank for 3-4 weeks. Or get some Praziquantel and that will treat gill flukes and tapeworm.
If you can find Flubendazole that will treat thread and tape worm and should also wipe out any gill flukes.

If you feed the fish more often (3-5 times per day) for the next month, it will help the fish produce more blood and help it recover. Make sure you do more water changes and gravel cleaning to compensate for the extra food.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

It is not white spot.
it is not Lymphocystis.
it is not fungus.

It is excess mucous on a wound. The fish is skinny and emaciated. It could have gill flukes and or intestinal worms. It is probably being bullied and someone bit it on the head or it damaged itself. The fish then produces more mucous to cover the wound.

Clean water, clean gravel, clean filter, salt and more food.

Monitor its poop and see what that looks like. If the poop is white and stringy the fish has intestinal worms and needs treating. If the poop is normal coloured then it has gill flukes and needs treating.

Salt will normally treat gill flukes. Use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt for every 20 litres of water. Keep salt in tank for 3-4 weeks. Or get some Praziquantel and that will treat gill flukes and tapeworm.
If you can find Flubendazole that will treat thread and tape worm and should also wipe out any gill flukes.

If you feed the fish more often (3-5 times per day) for the next month, it will help the fish produce more blood and help it recover. Make sure you do more water changes and gravel cleaning to compensate for the extra food.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Thank you so much for this detailed and informative reply Colin_T.

I'll probably buy some of the Flubendazole as it seems easier to find, but concerned it will kill my Assassin snails too.

https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/aquacare-anti-fluke-wormer-20ml

I'll up the feeding and also up the water changes and maintenance too. I'll also keep using the API Aquarium Salt every time I do a change.

You only need to use salt for a couple of weeks, just until the fish has healed and the mucous is gone. After the fish is better, stop using salt.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back