Does Amazon Frogbit Oxygenate The Water ?

coolfishfan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi guyz,

I have a small pond in my garden with enough sunlight.

I have few guppies in there. I want to keep the pond sand/soil free.

I am thinking of putting few amazon frogbits to oxygenate the water.

Do amazon frogbits really oxygenate the water
sad2.gif

Thanks.

All plants will increase the oxygen in the water to a certain extent.  Although, usually submerged plants would be better at that.  Frogbit being a floater, much of the oxygen will just go into the atmosphere.

It is much better suited as a way of removing nitrogen from the water.   Frogbit is a very fast grower, and as such will pull more nutrients from the water to enable that growth.  

Other options to have growth of the plants and oxygenate the water without soil would be some plants such as:  
  • java ferns, anubias (just tied to a rock these will stay submerged, offer some growth and shelter for the fish, and offer some oxygen as well.  
  • hornwort, anacharis, elodea - these can be permitted just to float around, but the majority of the plant will be submerged, especially if slightly weighted down by merely loosely tying a small stone to the one end.

He doesn't want a substrate, swords require a substrate. This would work if he were to plant them in pots though, as would any rooted plant.

I would add hornwort or anacharis elodea, they are great filters and oxygenate water very well. Totally agree with eaglesaquarium.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back