Does Algae Tablet / Wafer Cause Algae Growth???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Severine

Reaction score
Hi guys, ive been using Tetra Pleco Tablets and Hikari Algae Wafers recently.
Twice a day, in the morning/afternoon (somewhere between 8-12) and before i go to sleep at night like around 23/00
Questions are, which one is better? And does it cause algae growth? Because in my tank, green hair algae has been occuring in these last few days. I’m pretty sure the tank light is properly scheduled.
Great thanks in advance.

The algae tabs in themselves will not cause algae, but as they decompose or when they are eaten and then excreted as waste that decomposes, they will add to the nutrient level which may feed algae depending upon the light, fish load, feeding amounts, plant species, etc. It is all about balance, and that is the issue behind "problem" algae. With live plants, the light has to be sufficient to drive photosynthesis (plant species vary here), and the required nutrients must be present for the plants to assimilate. As soon as this balance is out, by too much (intensity) light, or too long a duration, or not enough light, or too many nutrients, photosynthesis slows and algae has an advantage.

There is no reason to feed fish more than once each day (except fry that need more feedings to develop), and omitting a day or two days each week won't hurt either. Fish in an aquarium are not using the energy that wild fish need too, plus the food supply is likely much more regular and substantial.

The algae tabs in themselves will not cause algae, but as they decompose or when they are eaten and then excreted as waste that decomposes, they will add to the nutrient level which may feed algae depending upon the light, fish load, feeding amounts, plant species, etc. It is all about balance, and that is the issue behind "problem" algae. With live plants, the light has to be sufficient to drive photosynthesis (plant species vary here), and the required nutrients must be present for the plants to assimilate. As soon as this balance is out, by too much (intensity) light, or too long a duration, or not enough light, or too many nutrients, photosynthesis slows and algae has an advantage.

There is no reason to feed fish more than once each day (except fry that need more feedings to develop), and omitting a day or two days each week won't hurt either. Fish in an aquarium are not using the energy that wild fish need too, plus the food supply is likely much more regular and substantial.
Much appreciated! Thank you!

It's a bugger to get rid of. I had massive streamers of the stuff that took over the tank, the plants, filter cases, bogwood et al. In fact the only things it didn't grow on were the fish themselves. It was a nightmare and in the end I took everything out and bleached it all including the plants and added new substrate. So far - so good

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back