Does Air Drying Filter Sock Remove Chloramines?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fishwarrior

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
In having to change filter socks often, I use more dechlorinator then I would like and was thinking if I used a hose to clean the socks and hang-dry them would the chloramines be removed due to drying or would there still be residual left over?

I know this would work if it was just chlorine, but not sure for chloramines.

What's a filter sock?

A filter sock is a basic mechanical filter often used in sumps in salty tanks, they do not remove chloramines or chlorine just debris! they need to be washed out at least every week, with every 2-3 days usually been recommended, Yes, you can wash out safely with tap water and dry them out with negligible trace of anything going to be left. You could always use RO water to do the final rinsing for more reassurance
smile.png

Many freshwater tanks use filter socks too, it's basically a method of mechanical filtration.  What I typically will do after cleaning is spray the socks with hydrogen peroxide, then give it another good hosing. I'll give it a dry (pun) with no extra dechlorinator and see how it goes.

Well, I've learnt something new today then :)

You could soak the sock in raw tap water, and there wouldn't be enough chlorine or chloramine to damage your set up in any way; the amount would be just too small.

Most reactions

Back