Do you think that no matter how we try, we still lose fish?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
A very experienced aquarist would know that there fish didn't die due to genetics.
A inexperienced aquarist will blame it on genetics. when a fish becomes ill or dies try and find out why the fish died because most fish deaths in the home aquarium has very little to do with genetics
Oh, ok. That makes no sense. :|

A very experienced aquarist would know that there fish didn't die due to genetics.
A inexperienced aquarist will blame it on genetics. when a fish becomes ill or dies try and find out why the fish died because most fish deaths in the home aquarium has very little to do with genetics

I highly disagree.

The fact that most aquatic fish are so colorful is a direct result of human intervention. You don't get Koi Angelfish, Cobra Guppies, Electric Blue German Rams and the like by just breeding a couple unrelated fish.

It happens over many generations of (often) fish that are siblings. Without the introduction of new blood (which reduces profitability as you will not get your fish to breed true), your fish will gradually become genetically inferior. Breeders (typically) breed for color, size and fin shape. They do not breed fish simply to create a hardier strain.

To deny the effect of inbreeding on a fishes health, resiliency and vigor is a sign of an inexperienced aquarist.

Stress and shock play a big part.moving fish from a to b causes stress and putting them in their new home can cause shock.Their minds might not work the same as ours,but they still have minds.

I highly disagree.

The fact that most aquatic fish are so colorful is a direct result of human intervention. You don't get Koi Angelfish, Cobra Guppies, Electric Blue German Rams and the like by just breeding a couple unrelated fish.

It happens over many generations of (often) fish that are siblings. Without the introduction of new blood (which reduces profitability as you will not get your fish to breed true), your fish will gradually become genetically inferior. Breeders (typically) breed for color, size and fin shape. They do not breed fish simply to create a hardier strain.

To deny the effect of inbreeding on a fishes health, resiliency and vigor is a sign of an inexperienced aquarist.
Your right.
One day the breeders will want to get fish back to “normal”.
The kennel club are moving towards this,as there are too many small dogs with breathing problems.
I like colourful fish,but not if it means changing them to suit.

Another issue is that for some reason, some shops are actually dyeing their stock and/or injecting them with hormones (especially parrot cichlids) to gain brighter colours as at the end of the day alot of people want bright fish which is understandable.. The issue is that not everyone can tell if a fish is dyed or injected which ultimately will also kill fish at some point or another and is just downright cruel in general.. Saying that its not an often occurance but some shops or breeder do this on a much larger scale than I thought when I first heard about this. Theres just too many reasons why a fish could or would die and sometimes it is preventable but alot of the time it isnt as we still dont know half the diseases or problems that could linger in our fish. You could give a fish the best possible life and it may still die I guess its just nature so the best thing we can do is at least give them a chance at a better life than being in a 15gallon store tank or 50 gal store sump with no decorations and constant stress :)

Dying fish is illegal in the UK, but it is perfectly legal for wholesalers to buy in fish which have been dyed in another country :unsure:

Dying fish is illegal in the UK, but it is perfectly legal for wholesalers to buy in fish which have been dyed in another country :unsure:
Hmm I wonder why they made that loophole.. kinda defeated the purpose of their own rule :( It's also usually the parrot fish that get it badly.. I've seen multiple websites selling "blue", "purple", "pink"etc versions and it just makes me wonder how thats actually allowed poor things :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back