do you fast your male betta?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bananaboy

Reaction score
I have been fasting my male betta once a week for as long i keep him, like more than 1 month. on the fasting day he seems really hungry and would kick the gravel up. im afraid he might injured himself doing that.
what is your experience with fasting your male betta, would you recommend doing it?

I never fasted any of my Bettas, I saw no point to is. As long as you don’t over feed him, you should be feeding him daily.

I always fast my fish two days a week with no issues (this includes Betta). However, there are times when I don't feed my male Bettas for 14 to 20 days on occasion. Mind you, the Betta that I am keeping are mouthbrooding species and males generally won't eat during the times he is holding.

I never deliberately withhold food from my fish. If I'm gone or sick in bed or there's a household crisis that has me occupied that's a whole other thing and I feed them as soon as I get to it. Some people do but I see no reason for it. Start culturing fruit flies for your Betta. He'll love you for it.

:hi:
I fast my bettas on Saturdays and feed peas on Sundays. one particular betta gets a little bloated. I recommend a bigger tank;)

I wrote an essay on that controversial topic. read it here if it helps

thanks for all the input. seems like some people do and some don't. i would have to watch n see what is best for my betta.
and yes he is living in a living in a jar but gets frequent water changes. he looks healthier than most betta in shops do nobody needs to worry.

I really would like to take the time to say he really needs a proper tank with filtration. Even water changes will just be allowing ammonia to buildup until you take it out thus hurting the fish while ammonia is in there.

I actually fast my rift lake cichlids 2 days a week just to ensure there isn’t any uneaten food when I feed, every other day I feed them twice a day
If you feed them the correct amount there will be no uneaten food and then you can feed them every day.

Cichlids are intelligent and associate you with food, if you don't feed them when they see you all you do is tick them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feed them the correct amount there will be no uneaten food and then you can feed them every day.

I dunno was just something I was recommended and stuck to. Do you think I should perhaps just feed once a day? I started fasting because I had yellow water but I think that may have been from an overdue filter pad

I dunno was just something I was recommended and stuck to. Do you think I should perhaps just feed once a day? I started fasting because I had yellow water but I think that may have been from an overdue filter pad
I feed my Cichlids when they follow me up and down the tank and look hungry, you only have to give them a taste and they will be happy. It keeps them settled and lets them know you love them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back