Do you euthanize fish? How do you do it?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jaimoe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We've all had fish that were so sick that we knew they would end up dead, but it is hard to know what you should do with those fish. I have tended to just let nature take its course and let it die on it's own time, after trying the applicable medications. Sometimes this has resulted in a long slow and probably painful death though. I'm thinking next time I find myself in the situation it would be better for the fish if I were to just euthanize it.

Does anyone here in this forum go the euthanization route? If so, how do you usually go about it? Are there methods that are pretty painless for the fish, or is it best just to go for a quick violent method so the fish's suffering is as brief as possible?

I don't euthenize fish. I often take the fish out if they are boeing hassled and let them die in peace. I also have/had a hospital tank which sick fish go to, although it's occupied by healthy discus at the moment.

I just cut their head off with Scissors, Or use a Screwdriver and and Stab in the eyes and brain.

dear god people, it sounds like mid evil torture, personal I give them as long as they can until I can tell they are suffering with no chance what so every of recovery scoop them out of the water with my hand and take a knife and cut from spine to front that way they do not feel anything. Anyone who told you that I fish can not suffer seriouly does not know fish

You wouldn't think that psgill00, mrcrabbs and kent were talking about once loved/admired pets but some toy or food. Sounds like you guys have way too much fun. :sly:

G_Sharky - I wouldn't use that method either, the fish is bound to suffer if you think about it. Would you like to freeze to death?

I'd use the clove oil method personally if I ever had to.

HOLY CRAP... u ppl sound horrible lol, smashing, stabing, cutting heads off, drilling a hole in their eye! ouch, i just let them die on their own, after all thats wat i would want, to die in my home :/ , besides i heard fish forget wats happening like every 15 seconds, so woudnt they just forget and remember their pain?

:sick: i agree...............u guys are like animals.......................disgusting. u guys sicken me.........the best way is to let them live.before u buy them research them and make sure u dont put them in bad conditions or with fish that will eat them so they dont have to die :sick:

If i have to euthanise a fish i take the fish and wrap it in a damp towel with just the head protuding and cut off its head with one stroke of a very sharp knife, if the fish is a large one that would take too long to cut its head off i still wrap it in the towel but then use a hammer to apply a single swift killing blow to the top of the head. The towel is used so that the fish cannot flap around and cause harm to its self and so that the killing slice/blow can be presise to prevent unnessasary pain.

Allowing a fish that is obviously in distress and has gone past the point of being curable to have a slow lingering death is worse than torture, imagine you had a pet dog which was suffering so much that it couldnt walk, breathe properly or eat, would you let it suffer?

The above two methods and the clove oil method are the only acceptable ways to euthanise a fish (unless you can get hold of animal anisthetic from a vets), freezing and eye gouging are not acceptable ways and will cause considerable stress and pain to the fish.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sicksick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

CFC put it this way if u had a dog u wouldnt wrap it in a towel or hold it down and then smash it on the head with a hammer or cut its heads off would u

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back