Do plants commonly attract bugs?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FalconStorm

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have some bugs in my ten gallon tank that are only on the plants that break the surface of the water. I'm wondering if the plants attracted them, and what I could do about them. I'm not sure, but they might hurt the plants.

The bugs are about two mm long and black, with a very large abdomen. They seem to have a larval stage that is 1 mm long and white. Anyone know what these are and maybe how I can get rid of them?

>>> how I can get rid of them?

Trim the plants so they don't break the surface?

Without knowing what they are, it is difficult to say more really, but as a general observation, plants do not attract "bugs".

Okay. I was thinking I would need to trim the plants, I was just hoping to not have to because they provide shade and cover for my neons. *sigh* I wish I knew what these are and how they got there.... I can't find ANYTHING online.

Try trimming them, keeping them short for a while, denying the "bugs" whatever they liked there, and then let them grow again. If it was an infestation that comes from your local environment, they will probably come back, but there is always the chance that you could wipe them out and they'd stay gone.

Unfortunately there are far far more species of "bug" around then fish - and even with a good description, it is not always possible to identify a fish.

I'll try that. I've been needing to trim some of the stuff in that aquarium anyway.

Also, I have a plant in that aquarium that floats on the top of the water. It has really thin, trailing roots that look like spider web and tiny leaves, maybe three mm wide each. There are several of them, and they evidently multiply pretty quickly. I did not purchase this plant. Does anyone know what it is and if it's harmful to the tank? I kinda like it, but these bugs like it too. Can I save it? Should I? Thanks.

I think you have just described Lemna minor, commonly called Duckweed. Yes, it spreads very rapidly. It is not harmful per se, it's rapid growth can help reduce nitrates. It does shade the rest of the tank, can get sucked into certain types of filters and block them and if allowed to grow unchecked, can reduce the gas exchange at the surface which could cause problems if you do not have adequate surface agitation.

If you like it, just keep it in check. Many people regard it as a pest. Certain larger barbs find it a delicacy and will eat it.

Stay tuned on the bug issue, we may have more...

I think I'm going to try to save some of it. The neons would appreciate the shade, and I can always scoop a bunch out and toss it out if it gets to be too much. The filter on that tank creates quite a bit of surface turbulence for gas exchange and the intake is at the bottom of the tank, so I don't think it will suck any in. I just hope I can save some from those durn bugs. They look so nasty...

If those bugs were in my tank they would be fish food in no time. Perhaps not feeding for a few days would correct the problem? -- And I've never heard of, nor had any problems with bugs becuase of plant possesion.

Sounds like aphids to me. Commonly called black fly. They reproduce asexually (cloning) and so 1 can very quickly become many. Not sure how you'd kill them near a tank as most pesticides are very bad news to fish.
Pruning sounds like a plan though.

WK

Edit:

400th post!

Nospherith said:
If those bugs were in my tank they would be fish food in no time. Perhaps not feeding for a few days would correct the problem? -- And I've never heard of, nor had any problems with bugs becuase of plant possesion.
i was gonna say the same thing...i find it suprising that nothing in your tank eats these bugs...in my planted tanks, fish are constantly picking "things" off of the leaves (algae and bugs)

Well, the bugs are on top of the leaves above the water line. I think the fish may not be able to see them or get to them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back