Do Nerite Snails need to eat calcium or just have it in the water?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

MegE15

Reaction score
So, I'm relatively new to snails. My boyfriend always wanted me to get one, but I wasn't really interested (too worried about crazy snail reproduction after hearing some horror stories from friends). But I found a beautiful little tiger nerite at the fish store and I fell in love. After a quick google search on my phone, I found out nerite snails can't reproduce in freshwater and that was that. So, long story short, I have multiple snails now in my 40 gallon tank.
After more research, I found out that snails need a lot of calcium, but I'm feel like I'm getting mixed messages. Some site say I just need hard water. Others are saying I need to feed them spinach, or put a cuttlebone in the tank.
After checking the carbonate hardness and the general hardness (KH = 120mg/L and GH = 180mg/L). Based on what I can find, that is a decent range, but there was some shell erosion on a two of the snails (the tips of their shells were white when I got them) so I threw a cuttlebone in the tank just to play it safe. My question though is if the snails actually need to be eating the calcium. The cuttlebone floats and I haven't weighed it down because I kinda like it floating around, but I've read a few things that mentioned they should be eating the calcium. I have a heavily planted tank and there is plenty of algae that the snails are working through, but should I give them blanched spinach to eat too? Or sink the bone so they can easily get to it? Or is the hard water enough?

Have it in the water, hard water usually has plenty, it is one of the main things that make water hard. You could add sea shells too

Have it in the water, hard water usually has plenty, it is one of the main things that make water hard. You could add sea shells too
So they don't necessarily need to eat it? Just having it in the water is enough?

I have nerite snails and my water is soft at 5 dH (90 ppm). Two of the nerites were bought in 2011. Yes, their shells are looking a bit the worse for wear after all this time but they'd probably look a bit worn by now even in hard water. Your GH at 180 ppm is double my water. Your nerite will be fine without any added calcium.

Thanks everyone for the responses! It's eased my mind and I'm happy they're getting what they need! Thanks again! :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back