Do Let This Happen To You !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Hm, something to think about...

I want to add fire shrimp, but Iā€™m sure if the Lion Fish would eat then.

You can consider marine shrimps if you want to try marine tank.
The Harlequin is beautiful and unique.
But you have to buy a lot of marine salt unless you keep a small tank.

I have a colleague who buy 20-25 kg of marine salt every 9mths for his 2 ft by 2ft tank (40+ gallons tank).

But if you want some interesting freshwater inveterbrates, you can consider Panther Crab and Sulawesi shrimps.
Panther crab is fully aquatic unlike most crabs(Vampire crabs, Red claw crab, etc) that require half land.
Panther crabs are very interesting and active.

Sulawesi shrimps are beautiful but they are sensitive and require distilled or RO water with Sulawesi salts. Probably they are not recommended for beginners.

Last edited:
I started with a 5 gallon, a 10g, then added a 5.5 gallon, then a 20g, then I got rid of them all. After about a year I got another 5g, 2.5, and then a 30g, then 2.5g, then a 55g, and a 10g, and now I just bought a 125g! (And am also starting to set up ANOTHER 3gallon shrimp tank. Watch out when getting into this hobby, I think I've been diagnosed with severe MTS:).

When I first signed up with The Great TFF Forums, back in May of 2019, I had just gotten a one half gallon Betta View "aquarium" at Wal-Mart and got a male Betta. Reading all the great things here inspired me to upgrade to a 2 1/2 gallon tank for my Betta. Then I got a Five gallon to try my hand with Killifish. Then I set up my old 20 high that was languishing in a closet. Then another five gallon and now another 20 high and a ten gallon. Six tanks in less than two years. This is what can happen when you've laid off the fish for awhile. I thought I had this under control but it turns out I've got a wet glass monkey on my back. All of you coming back into the hobby and all you new people starting out , watch out !
I'm restricted by space and the Mrs lol..
Probably a good thing.
All my fish focus is on one tank but I can totally appreciate MTS.

haha this was a great read! I can see myself coming down with a bad case of MTS!!

I've only had my 190L tank for 2 weeks and I've already had to cancel the order for a 450L, the mrs wasn't happy as I'd ordered it before I had even put fish in the first one :hyper:.

We have compromised and I'm going to get a 22L Betta tank as fell in love with the blue betta at the store.

450L is still on the agenda but the wife has asked (instructed) me to wait for a few months :)

I have just spied a little area in the dining room for a 60L though, will try to sell this to her a bit later :)

@DGJ Do not, I repeat, DO NOT wait for your wife's approval or permission. It will never come. Instead go out and do what you want. I wait until she is gone for the day or for a few hours then work fast. Once it's all set up she has no other choice but to relent. If she stands her ground then fake a back ache to put things off and do some house cleaning or cook her a meal to throw her off guard. Develop a cunning and sneaky mindset. You have a foe that can be difficult to overcome.

@DGJ Do not, I repeat, DO NOT wait for your wife's approval or permission. It will never come. Instead go out and do what you want. I wait until she is gone for the day or for a few hours then work fast. Once it's all set up she has no other choice but to relent. If she stands her ground then fake a back ache to put things off and do some house cleaning or cook her a meal to throw her off guard. Develop a cunning and sneaky mindset. You have a foe that can be difficult to overcome.
Haha I went down this route, had a few drinks at the beach and just ordered a 60 Gallon :) it arrived a few days ago and is cycling now. The wife wasn't happy when she came home. Haven't got round to telling her there is a 10 Gallon in the cabinet of the 60 :)

Haha I went down this route, had a few drinks at the beach and just ordered a 60 Gallon :) it arrived a few days ago and is cycling now. The wife wasn't happy when she came home. Haven't got round to telling her there is a 10 Gallon in the cabinet of the 60 :)
You did well. What's she going to do, take your birthday away ?

Most reactions

trending

Back