Do I need to add water conditioner when fishless cycling?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SABWARNER16

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Do I need to add water conditioner when fishless cycling? Our tap water is hard and very alkaline. Do I need to add prime or something like Tetra BettaSafe to get rid of the chlorine or can I do that right before I add fish?

Yes, you need to use it as chlorine will destroy the beneficial bacteria you are trying to build. Never run your filter media through tap water either. Just swish it in tank water to clean.

Yes, you need to use it as chlorine will destroy the beneficial bacteria you are trying to build. Never run your filter media through tap water either. Just swish it in tank water to clean.
So should I drain the tap water and put in conditioner water or should I just add prime?

I would add the water conditioner now. There's no real benefit to changing the water; once you add water conditioner it'll be the same as if you added it when you set up the tank.

I would add the water conditioner now. There's no real benefit to changing the water; once you add water conditioner it'll be the same as if you added it when you set up the tank.

Perfect, thank you so much

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back