Do I need conditioned water for planted tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
No, you can’t. The chlorine and contaminants in the tap water will slowly destroy the plants.

I would add some dechlorinator ASAP.

The plants MIGHT be able to survive, but they definitely won’t thrive. I don’t see any reason in subjecting them to chlorine…
I thought itvwould be OK as the chlorine would evaporate soon enough anyway :( . Never mind. I shall hope to save them.

I thought itvwould be OK as the chlorine would evaporate soon enough anyway :( . Never mind. I shall hope to save them.
Is your tap water treated with chlorine, or chloramine?
Chlorine will gas off, chloramine will not.

For the safety of my (expensive) plants I shall condition the water and play it safe.
No reason not to....can't hurt, and conditioner isn't pricey.

As an aside, we water our house plants with chlorinated tap water all of the time, with no ill effects...

No reason not to....can't hurt, and conditioner isn't pricey.

As an aside, we water our house plants with chlorinated tap water all of the time, with no ill effects...
Ooh. Good point. But I guess it might be different being soaked in it onnthe outside, not having it filtered through soil and up on the inside.

Ooh. Good point. But I guess it might be different being soaked in it onnthe outside, not having it filtered through soil and up on the inside.
It may...but it's really a moot point, if you just condition the water

There is no harm to aquarium plants from chlorinated water. Chlorine is actually a plant nutrient, though in a very small amount as it is a micro-nutrient. But if fish are not present, I never dechlorinate water for the aquarium. My "QT" for new fish acquisitions runs without fish for several months (depending when I acquire fish) and I do regular water changes with tap water without conditioner. The plants remain alive and healthy, although the lack of ammonia/ammonium due to there being no fish creating organics and ammonia is noticeable, until new fish are added.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back