Do I Need An External Filter?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

I'm just starting out and getting my first tank for Christmas. A Fluval Roma 90L.

I have read a few posts here where people talk about having external filters as well as internal ones. Obviously my tank will come with an internal one but would there be any advantage to me getting an external one or is it just for bigger tanks?

Thanks in advance,

David.

Hi

I'm just starting out and getting my first tank for Christmas. A Fluval Roma 90L.

I have read a few posts here where people talk about having external filters as well as internal ones. Obviously my tank will come with an internal one but would there be any advantage to me getting an external one or is it just for bigger tanks?

Thanks in advance,

David.

In short, no you don't need one..... however they aid filtration due to the amount of media they hold and you being able to buy a filter with a bigger flow output... they are more efficient at keeping the tank clean and it saves you having ugly internals within the water column

Cool, in that case, for now, I won't bother. I guess my tank isn't going to be too big so hoping the one it comes with will do the trick.

Thanks for the reply mate.
David.

Cool, in that case, for now, I won't bother. I guess my tank isn't going to be too big so hoping the one it comes with will do the trick.

Thanks for the reply mate.
David.

Your welcome mate..... nice tanks the roma 90 are btw, will looking forward to the journal and pics if you decide to do one.... good luck with it all
good.gif

Hi

Thanks in advance,

David.

no....not if you take care of the filter properly, that is the key

I prefer them for a number of reasons.

Ease of cleaning, amount of media, appearance in the tank (or rather lack of). However to answer your question, no, its not a necessity.

Another nice thing about the external ones is that they're very quiet. Mine is an Eheim and worth every penny. It is essentially silent - you cannot tell there is an aquarium in the room. I love mine. But no, not a necessity. ;)

Thanks for all the replies. It's probably something ill look at in the future but I've plenty other things to be spending my hard earned on in the begInning.

David

I also have a Fluva Roma 90. I kept the internal U2 filter it comes with for about a year. I recently bought a JBL e700 external filter and I can't believe how good it is. I wish I had bought the external from the start. Having the extra room in the tank from removing the internal one is one of the main advantages. The water is crystal clear, there is a nice flow in my tank where the plants sway and the fish swim against the slight current. I can't recommend an external filter enough

Most reactions

trending

Back