Do I have too many plants in my 7.5 gallon nano?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Calistmo

Reaction score
I have roughly 13 cherry shrimp, 9 exclamation point rasboras, 2 salt pepper catfish, 2 nirtite snails and 2 assasin.

This is my first attempt at a planted Tank, I add liquid fertilizer once a week and have two root tabs near the roots of the bigger plants. The floating plants have completely taken over , but they are turning yellowish with spots now.

Today I noticed some white fuz on parts of one plant.

One of my smaller plants has holes in it now too, should I try more fertilizer? The tank is cycled and has good results from the test kits for ammonia/nitrites and nitrate but the PH is slightly high.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated
PXL_20210228_192415887.jpg
PXL_20210228_191620382.jpg

PXL_20210228_191506351.jpg
PXL_20210224_224149692.jpg

How long have the plants been in there. New plants experience die off of old leaves. This is natural. What substrate are you using? Do you use liquid fertiliser?

Yellow leaves also mean iron deficiency. Does the substrate/fertiliser have any iron in it? If not add some liquid iron will help.
Holes can also mean nutrient deficiency. Here is a helpful phot

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-01 at 21.32.23.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-01 at 21.32.23.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 113
How long have the plants been in there. New plants experience die off of old leaves. This is natural. What substrate are you using? Do you use liquid fertiliser?

Yellow leaves also mean iron deficiency. Does the substrate/fertiliser have any iron in it? If not add some liquid iron will help.
Holes can also mean nutrient deficiency. Here is a helpful phot
Thanks for the info!

I have roughly 13 cherry shrimp, 9 exclamation point rasboras, 2 salt pepper catfish, 2 nirtite snails and 2 assasin.

This is my first attempt at a planted Tank, I add liquid fertilizer once a week and have two root tabs near the roots of the bigger plants. The floating plants have completely taken over , but they are turning yellowish with spots now.

Today I noticed some white fuz on parts of one plant.

One of my smaller plants has holes in it now too, should I try more fertilizer? The tank is cycled and has good results from the test kits for ammonia/nitrites and nitrate but the PH is slightly high.

Any tips would be greatly appreciatedView attachment 130107View attachment 130108
View attachment 130109View attachment 130110
Not sure but your tank is lovely!
What size/type tank is it?
Would love to see close-up images of the fish ♡

You will want a bigger tank for the corydoras habrosus and they need a group of 10 to be fully happy, they will feel stressed only as 2. A 10 gallon is the smallest size for them

Great taste of fish with the exclamation points though!
?

20210227_234310.jpg

I agree you have a nutrient deficiency (probably more than one. The Chart provided by NIK_N is not consistent with a lot of other pictures of nutrient deficiencies. But that said it is often difficult to diagnose a deficiency correctly by just looking at it. Iron deficiency typically causes a yellow leaf but with with green veins. Nitrogen deficiency will cause yellow leaves and doesn't always result in smaller leaves like the chart indicated. I also what might be manganese deficiency and possibly calcium and magnesiums deficiencies.

This site has pictures of various deficiencies but for terrestrial plants you might find it helpful. Also please state which fertilizer you are using. Most fertilizers don't have alll the 14 nutrients plants need. There are some that only have w to 4 nutrients int eh bottle. They often assume you have all the calcium and magnesium you need from tap water. Also for a planted tank you don't want zero nitrates. You want have at least a couple of ppm of nitrate with zero ammonia and zero nitrite.

Also for planted tanks it is important to do water changes at least once a week. Water changes are not just for removing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Water changes also insure your plants don't deplete nutrients that are often abundant in tap water.

I agree you have a nutrient deficiency (probably more than one. The Chart provided by NIK_N is not consistent with a lot of other pictures of nutrient deficiencies. But that said it is often difficult to diagnose a deficiency correctly by just looking at it. Iron deficiency typically causes a yellow leaf but with with green veins. Nitrogen deficiency will cause yellow leaves and doesn't always result in smaller leaves like the chart indicated. I also what might be manganese deficiency and possibly calcium and magnesiums deficiencies.

This site has pictures of various deficiencies but for terrestrial plants you might find it helpful. Also please state which fertilizer you are using. Most fertilizers don't have alll the 14 nutrients plants need. There are some that only have w to 4 nutrients int eh bottle. They often assume you have all the calcium and magnesium you need from tap water. Also for a planted tank you don't want zero nitrates. You want have at least a couple of ppm of nitrate with zero ammonia and zero nitrite.

Also for planted tanks it is important to do water changes at least once a week. Water changes are not just for removing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Water changes also insure your plants don't deplete nutrients that are often abundant in tap water.
Thank you for the info! I have been using distilled water for my water which could be my issue? I have been using seachem flourish for the fertilizer. Is it possible to use to much? I also have seachem root tabs.

I may remove the floating plants from my setup. I feel they might be taking to much nutrition from the other plants.

Thank you for the info! I have been using distilled water for my water which could be my issue? I have been using seachem flourish for the fertilizer. Is it possible to use to much? I also have seachem root tabs.

I may remove the floating plants from my setup. I feel they might be taking to much nutrition from the other plants.
I love the floaters. The awesome root growth is evidence they are doing their job, and with the water issue corrected and added ferts...?
Or maybe I am just jealous; I can't ever grow those :(

Flourish isn't very good.
Switch to something better, like Thrive, Easy Green, or similar, pick both micro and macro if the one you choose is lacking

Flourish isn't very good.
Switch to something better, like Thrive, Easy Green, or similar, pick both micro and macro if the one you choose is lacking
Noooooooo!
I use flourish liquid and tabs and things haven’t been so good on the plant front these last few months. Ill need to try the ones most recommended in U.K. if I remember the names!

What is and what is not in your water has a major influence on how well most fertilizer work. Mostfertilizer are made with the assumption thatyourwater has enough calcium and magnesium. Many also assume you have copper or zinc in your water due to metal pipes.

Distilled water is pure water. I used RO water with a TDS of 1. So my water was basically pure. I tried three fertilizers and couldn't get any to work well. That included flourish comprehensive. . The best I could do was intermittent growth at best. And yet I saw others using the same fertilizer getting much better results. The only reason I could find was the differences in the water.

The solution I implemented was not the easiest. I made my own fertilizer with all 14 nutrients that science knows are needed for plant growth. I also used information from otherpeople doing doing the same thing and a science paper that listed the minerals and there concentrations in plant. Myfirst attempt was to that time the best fertilizer I had ever used. There have been some stumbles along the way but now getting consistent plant growth is not my problem. Getting ride of hair and black beard Alga are my biggest issues. In the past with Seachem they were not an issue. Now they are.

My suggestion to you would be to try a mix of distilled and tap water. That might be enough with your fertilizer to resolve your issue. and you can try other fertilizers to. It is entirely possible you for you to have more success with a mix of distilled and tap or even just tap than I currently have wit DIY approach. Also I would keep you floating plants. I have found floating plants are a very good indicator of the quality of your fertilization. If they are sick or dying you have a problem. Make sure your nitrate is not zero. Also make sure your nitrates and GH are not zero. Also I would not worry about your shrimp or copper. I have used up to 20 times the amount of copper that Flourish provides and it had no effect on my shrimp. 20ppm of copper is safe and i would not be surprised if they can tolerate a lot more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back