Do I have too many fish in my 10g tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

smillz

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums and just wanted some advice from experienced folks.

I have a betta in a 10 gallon tank with 6 rasboras. It's lightly planted with some java fern, moss balls and christmas moss attached to driftwood. They've lived in there together peacefully for about 6 months (they just completely ignore each other). I do weekly water changes and semi-regular API master kit water tests and the results have always been good. However, the rasboras have grown a lot! I really had no idea they got so big (should've done more research, my fault, I was ignorant). Now I'm worried the poor fellows are a bit over crowded. I live in a small apartment and already have one other 10 gallon betta tank and really can't fit any more. I'm wondering if it's in the fishes best interest for me to rehome them to someone with a larger tank, or can they be happy and healthy in the the tank they're in? I just don't want them to suffer. Thanks for any advice

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What species of rasbora do you have?
If you're not sure, post a picture of them.

The question of "how many fish can I have in an x gallon tank" comes up a lot, but is very difficult to answer and the old 1" per gallon rule is most often wrong!
The real determining factor, assuming no aggression, is water quality as more and/or bigger fish create more pollution. Within reason and with some exception, you can successfully have more fish in a given tank if the maintenance is appropriate. For example, I have grow out tanks that appear crowded, but religious water changes and filter maintenance allows it.
On the other hand, if you think it looks crowded, it probably is. You might rehome some, or put half the Rasboras in the other 10g tank?

AbbeysDad is spot on, it is all about water quality and maintenance. I personally like to give my fish lots of room. I have about 20 small fish (tetras)in a 55 gallon tank and may add a few more but plan at stopping around 30.

I have 3 of the same sized tanks (29 gallons) - each tank has a completely different number of fish in it from 6 to 30. Actually only the tank with the 6 fish looks overcrowded since they are all 5-8" - they just need a much bigger tank. The other two tanks have more fish but they are all smaller and swim/live at different levels in the aquarium so it doesn't look crowded to me.

Oh and my 5 Rasbora are the smallest fish I own - I have the Harlequin species and they are 1/2" or so depending on how long their tails are. Unless there is a really large species of Rasbora out there I can't imagine them making any tank look crowded.

The question of "how many fish can I have in an x gallon tank" comes up a lot, but is very difficult to answer and the old 1" per gallon rule is most often wrong!
The real determining factor, assuming no aggression, is water quality as more and/or bigger fish create more pollution. Within reason and with some exception, you can successfully have more fish in a given tank if the maintenance is appropriate. For example, I have grow out tanks that appear crowded, but religious water changes and filter maintenance allows it.
On the other hand, if you think it looks crowded, it probably is. You might rehome some, or put half the Rasboras in the other 10g tank?

Lol when I read the 1 fish pre gallon rule, I instantly had this image all these little fishy face squashed up the side of the tank. That would be what mine would look like if I got 77 fish for my 77 gallon tank :rofl:

Lol when I read the 1 fish pre gallon rule, I instantly had this image all these little fishy face squashed up the side of the tank. That would be what mine would look like if I got 77 fish for my 77 gallon tank :rofl:

Yeah, the 1" per gallon rule has been echoed in the hobby since about the dawn of time. Sadly there are many misconceptions that get repeated over and over...."no such thing as too much filtration", "you need 4x-10x GPH filter flow relative to tank size", 1" per gallon".....

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back