Do I Have Magic Fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dant1875

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just come back from work & my male Dwarf Cockatoo is nowhere to be seen :/ has anyone ever encountered this before? He was the biggest fish in the tank (& the most aggressive) & all the others are fine. I've even just put some food in to try & see if he's hiding but nothing at all....I've moved all the caves & hidey-holes & he just isn't there :( . He's in with Harlequin Rasbora, a female Cockatoo & a couple of Albino Cory - they surely wouldn't have eaten him??? He was there at 11pm last night. Any ideas???

Jumped out maybe? I lost a Zebra Danio a few years ago, he had managed to jump out of a feeding hole a few cms across and I found him behind the cabinet a few weeks later. Also, again a few years ago, I had a female platy that like to completely bury herself under the sand. I had to rescue her from herself about 3 times.
If a fish dies overnight it might not take very long for the others to recycle the body.

He is probably just hiding very well, although unusual unless there is something wrong with him. When you moved the caves etc, did you check up inside them? Have you checked inside the filter (not knowing what filter you have) some fish can get up inside them.

Ive had fish go 'missing' for days, then suddenly reappear, you'd be suprised how well they can hide.

When my 2 (male and female) disapeared I eventually found them in a "home made" cave. They had dug s tiny hole under a piece of wood, and opened it up into a larger cave. These guys excavate when looking for a nice cave to have eggs.

If you're not worried about disturbing eggs then have another look, and be sure to gently lift any wood to look underneath. - If he has gone to look after eggs or impress a lady, then moving the wood may make him abandon his duties.

When my 2 (male and female) disapeared I eventually found them in a "home made" cave. They had dug s tiny hole under a piece of wood, and opened it up into a larger cave. These guys excavate when looking for a nice cave to have eggs.

If you're not worried about disturbing eggs then have another look, and be sure to gently lift any wood to look underneath. - If he has gone to look after eggs or impress a lady, then moving the wood may make him abandon his duties.

Industrious lil fish then :lol: would he not come out for food though? I'm getting worried now though as the female looks really lost & there's been no sign of him at all :sad: how long does everyone reckon I should give it until I stop looking???? I've got a big rock in the tank & my mate at work reckons he could have gone inside it, but still surely he would have come for food?

He is probably just hiding very well, although unusual unless there is something wrong with him. When you moved the caves etc, did you check up inside them? Have you checked inside the filter (not knowing what filter you have) some fish can get up inside them.

Ive had fish go 'missing' for days, then suddenly reappear, you'd be suprised how well they can hide.
Apart from ripping the tank apart, I've looked almost everywhere - got a fluval 3+, so the current on the outlet is too strong for him to get in (did check though just to be sure!) Gutted though - he's my favourite :sad:

So sorry to hear that. It does happen though. Dont be tempted to blame yourself, fish dont seem to check the size of gaps before they swim into them. There have been many storied of "stuck" fish.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back