Do Guppies Mind Fast Flowing Waters?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kill_a_watt

Reaction score
hi, ive got a tank and i wanted to add some fast flow of water thorugh it with a powerhead.
thing is ive got some guppies left over *was supposed to sell them all but found like 8 living in my Filter o_O*
do they mind some flow of water? or is it not natural for them.
thanks

larger ones dont mind it to an extent, but fry die of exhaustion after about 9 hours. I found that out the hard way when i was about 13 years old lol. It depends how fast is fast?

it mainly depends on the fish and the tail size.

Large tailed fish dont do well in fast water but wild types with small tails do well in it..

my fish like the feeling of it.. because the middle of my tank is where my filter is and it makes the water in the middle flow quite fast and they always stay there instead of going to the sides where its still.

I have a small filter at the top of the tank blowing quite a strong current diagonally across the top (I like the rippling sound) and the guppies seem to love swimming around and diving up and down in that area of the tank. I also have a very strong air pump that I put on for a couple of hours a day and they constantly play in the bubbles, chasing bits of flake etc. Seems to keep them very fit and healthy. :good:

HOWEVER, I had a very traumatic experience as a child watching in horror as an exhausted juvenile guppy got sucked into the filter of my friend's tank after swimming against the flow without moving anywhere for several hours, poor little thing. So I would keep your fry in a seperate tank until they are strong enough / make sure there are plenty of sheltered areas in the tank where they can get out of the current and rest.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back