Do Dwarf Gouramis & fancy Guppies get along?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

aquafan

Reaction score
Do Dwarf Gouramis & fancy Guppies get along? Originally I wanted to get some neon tetras and some fancy guppies for my 20 gallon tank, but after seeing some neon blue dwarf gouramis I am having second thoughts. I started looking at slightly larger fish and noticed the dwarf gouamis. I also was looking at glassfish, and some larger tetras. What other fish should I consider if I wanted to step up in size? But not too big, as I only have a 20 gallon tank.
Other fish/oddballs I was considering: 2 corys, 2 dwarf frogs, and maybe a ghost shimp.
A penny for your thoughts, Thanks.

the dwarf frogs neons, cories and ghost shrimp would all go beautifully with the guppies
although i would suggest sinking shrimp pellets for the cory and bloodworms for the frogs to keep a healthy balanced tank (aswell as a good tropical blend of flaked for the others)

i would not keep dwarf gourami with guppies, as guppies tend to be slower and do not take abuse very well,
you see,
gourami are VERY unpredictable
they come in all temperments and it is impossible know their true temporment
until they are well established into the tank
they are best kept in larger planted tanks with larger community fish or stronger more hearty fish that can withstand a little abuse, as Gourami are well known for their peaceful attitude with sudden bursts of aggression

hope that helps you!
my best advice is to stick to smaller, more peaceful fish :nod:

I've kept them with great success but I may just be the exception.. my dwarf gouramis and guppies have been in the same tank for months and have never crossed paths. in fact everyone is doing extremely well... but as I said this may not be the norm...

For what it's worth, the guppies in my community tank kept dying overnight (three of them), and they all had (basically) missing dorsal fins when found dead. I suspect attack as the cause, and the only three possible culprits were a dwarf gourami, two 1" angel fish, or some platys. I suspect the gourami.

Ive had both in the same tank before and they got on fine, the male dwarf can be a little aggressive at times though but does no great damage, just chases other fish!

I've kept 2 dwarf gourami quite happily with guppies (at seperate times). IMO they go together quite well.

How about a dwarf gourami (and maybe a female if you can get one), 3 cories, 6 or so smallish tetras and some guppies :dunno: You could put some ghost shrimp/frogs in with them, I expect.

I've had some trouble with gouramis and guppies, for weeks now I've woken to find a guppy less a bit of tail and the most likely culprit is one of my gouramis. The dwarf Neon was attacked yesterday too, not for the first time, so him and the injured guppies are in a new tank now to recover.

It's as people have said, some gouramis are fine, others aren't. I think I'm unlucky enough to have a psycho gourami.

I have thought of putting large platties or similar 2-3" fish w/ my gouramis....
but fearful that they would make mince meat out of the other fish so i hesitate.
i also fear that i will wake up or come home to dead fish because of fighting.
Luckly not the case..all my gourami seem to get along...but w/ guppies....i dunno..

Bol said:
For what it's worth, the guppies in my community tank kept dying overnight (three of them), and they all had (basically) missing dorsal fins when found dead. I suspect attack as the cause, and the only three possible culprits were a dwarf gourami, two 1" angel fish, or some platys. I suspect the gourami.
I have seen my crazy fish lady mentor Margie have problems when she put some Angels in her guppy tank, all 27 guppies died overnight and no other fish were in the tank with them. She has some Gouramis that she keeps with the guppies, no problems yet except her fry count going down. All well, she had too many fry to get rid of anyways.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back