Do Dwarf Chain Loaches Fin Nip?

mancin

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been playing around with this site for stocking: http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

When I'm ready to stock my tank, I plan on keeping some loaches with Angelfish. I wanted to get dwarf chain loaches, but the site above says that they fin nip? From what I've read about the loaches, they should be pretty peaceful. I plan on keeping 6 - 8 of the loaches.

Does anyone have experience with these two?

I have found quite a few loaches are absolute devils for fin nipping! However Dwarf Chain Loach are ok, and with angels they will almost definitely be ok, I'm always a little more hesitant with guppies but of all the species of loaches, they are one of the less likely to nip ones. However... they are horrors for devouring eggs, babies and even baby bristlenose plecs! Worst culprits I found for biting out eyes and sneaky fin nipping is any loach from the Sinobotia family.

MBOU said:
 However... they are horrors for devouring eggs, babies and even baby bristlenose plecs!

Good to know. I do plan on having a BN pleco but it will be a singleton, so no babies!

i had 7 dwarf chains, they behaved themselves wonderfully, but everyone has different experiences, so u2u really :)

I have a group of dwarf chain loaches and they are very inquisitive fish, always checking out all aspects of the tank and even swimming about with my endlers which share their tank. I have had no problems with fin nipping and even my bristlenose catfish regularly have eggs and fry over 100 in the tank.
I think keeping the dwarf chain loaches in a group and in a suitably large enough tank (mine are in a 4ft) with lots of things to keep them occupied and investigating is the way to go with them.

Dwarf Chain Loaches will nip at slow moving tankmates, especially if they are kept in numbers <10 of their own kind. In a suitably sized social group, they are pretty well behaved and great characters.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back