DNA guess Challenge: Teddy (aka Teddy the nutjob, Teddy the SuperDog)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Teddy's original Wisdom Panel gave more specifics in his 37.5% small dna traces group. I don't want to spend more money on a re-test. But I made some notes when I first logged in and got his report. Shame I didn't print it.
Keeshond was a member of maybe the Guard dog group His original test gave more information than the current file. Keeshond is currently in the Non-sporting class but they certainly were barge guard dogs in the Netherlands and he certainly has the tail.
Terrier group - not sure what - he doesn't look like any terrier, but he does have some JRT traits.
Companion - I'm going with Pomeranian and Chihuahua
Hound - something in the hound group, once again I see the scent driven prey drive but no particular breed looks like Ted.
25% Great Pyrenees
25% Australian Cattle Dog
12.5% Australian Shepherd.
Original post on Facebook.
have watched all the great pyr's in shelters and networked some and thought, gee, someday, I would like to have a great pyr if I got a bigger house with a super air cleaner for the fur. And I adopted a little "border collie" mix from a shelter in January 2015 and I have had a couple of border collies. While I love Teddy a lot there is no way this dog is a border collie. So I had a DNA test run, and I got the results yesterday, and I HAVE a great pyr mix. Who weighs 37 lbs and sheds his own weight monthly, haha. I love him to bits but he is a nut. And he doesn't have a stitch of border collie. But 25% great pyr, 25% australian cattle dog, 12.5% australian shepherd and 37% mutt (actually a total of at least 15 breeds going all the way down to chihuahua in size, and a chi or a pomeranian is where he got his bark) Meet Teddy, My great Pyrenees. He doesn't need rescued, he has a home. He is the little brown one with the white paws. he does lay down occasionally but not often. Posted 3 pics because while I see the keeshond trace and the aussies, I still don't see the pyr

Attachments

• Teddy_August2020.png
    Teddy_August2020.png
    383.4 KB · Views: 47
Teddy's original Wisdom Panel gave more specifics in his 37.5% small dna traces group. I don't want to spend more money on a re-test. But I made some notes when I first logged in and got his report. Shame I didn't print it.
Keeshond was a member of maybe the Guard dog group His original test gave more information than the current file. Keeshond is currently in the Non-sporting class but they certainly were barge guard dogs in the Netherlands and he certainly has the tail.
Terrier group - not sure what - he doesn't look like any terrier, but he does have some JRT traits.
Hound - something in the hound group, once again I see the scent driven prey drive but no particular breed looks like Ted.
25% Great Pyrenees
have watched all the great pyr's in shelters and networked some and thought, gee, someday, I would like to have a great pyr if I got a bigger house with a super air cleaner for the fur. And I adopted a little "border collie" mix from a shelter in January 2015 and I have had a couple of border collies. While I love Teddy a lot there is no way this dog is a border collie. So I had a DNA test run, and I got the results yesterday, and I HAVE a great pyr mix. Who weighs 37 lbs and sheds his own weight monthly, haha. I love him to bits but he is a nut. And he doesn't have a stitch of border collie. But 25% great pyr, 25% australian cattle dog, 12.5% australian shepherd and 37% mutt (actually a total of at least 15 breeds going all the way down to chihuahua in size, and a chi or a pomeranian is where he got his bark) Meet Teddy, My great Pyrenees. He doesn't need rescued, he has a home. He is the little brown one with the white paws. he does lay down occasionally but not often. Posted 3 pics because while I see the keeshond trace and the aussies, I still don't see the pyr
Wooooow! I only got the Shepherd right lol... I messed that up bad 🤣...

This is my dog. I found these on the forum from way back. If I find my other pictures of her, I will post them. I had some where she was standing up and her tail was up like the picture of your dog in post #1

dogs chloe 18october2010 002.jpg

The second picture was her showing off her pig hunting skills. It was her favorite toy for a while, a stuffed pink pig :)
dogs chloe 05june08_004a.jpg

25% Great Pyrenees

Wow! I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with my guesses! I think I was close anyway, lol! :lol: It's so hard to pick out specific breed traits when there's such a mix of DNA in there, but it also leads to brilliant, healthy dogs and the results from DNA testing are fun!
Reminder of my guesses which I made before I'd seen all the photos in this thread, but stuck with my guesses anyway :D This is them, quoted;

"I thought pitbull/German Shepherd/some kind other kind of terrier mixed in, but that tail is throwing me for a loop! the tail suggest either a basenji or a spitz is in there somewhere fairly prominently too...
And then his paws/hocks as well! Hmm, I have a feeling that the DNA results are really interesting! I honestly can't tell! So I think like mine, there's a parent or grandparent that's what they call nowadays a supermutt, so that there's a good mix of DNA in there in varying amounts :D

But my first and strongest suspicion for main or most unusual breed is that a basenji or spitz type is a big chunk.
Second - border collie (MAYBE Australian Shepherd, which we don't really have here, so I'm less familiar with them).
Third- Jack Russell.
Fourth - labrador."

While I never would have guessed the pyrenees, the keeshond is the breed that was really throwing me! I said a basenji or spitz type breed because of that tail and a few other hints, and if you look up keeshonds, the wiki quote is
"The Keeshond is a medium-sized dog with a plush, two-layer coat of silver and black fur with a ruff and a curled tail. It originated in Holland, and its closest relatives are the German spitzes such as the Großspitz (Large Spitz), Mittelspitz (Medium Spitz), Kleinspitz (Miniature Spitz)..." so I think I deserve a point for that guess! It's a close relative of spitz breeds, and that's the look that I spotted ;)

My second breed did also say MAYBE Australian Shepherd, so another point, and my third suspicion was some JRT, and you say he has terrier in him plus JRT traits! ;)
AND I said that there would be a parent or grandparent that was a supermutt, so that like my girl, he has a lot of small amounts of different breeds in him, accounting for why it's so hard to guess, and why we can't spot the great pyr in him! :D

So did I win? Did I come closest? I want a prize if so! ;):lol:

Wow! I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with my guesses! I think I was close anyway, lol! :lol: It's so hard to pick out specific breed traits when there's such a mix of DNA in there, but it also leads to brilliant, healthy dogs and the results from DNA testing are fun!
Reminder of my guesses which I made before I'd seen all the photos in this thread, but stuck with my guesses anyway :D This is them, quoted;

"I thought pitbull/German Shepherd/some kind other kind of terrier mixed in, but that tail is throwing me for a loop! the tail suggest either a basenji or a spitz is in there somewhere fairly prominently too...
And then his paws/hocks as well! Hmm, I have a feeling that the DNA results are really interesting! I honestly can't tell! So I think like mine, there's a parent or grandparent that's what they call nowadays a supermutt, so that there's a good mix of DNA in there in varying amounts :D

But my first and strongest suspicion for main or most unusual breed is that a basenji or spitz type is a big chunk.
Second - border collie (MAYBE Australian Shepherd, which we don't really have here, so I'm less familiar with them).
Third- Jack Russell.
Fourth - labrador."

While I never would have guessed the pyrenees, the keeshond is the breed that was really throwing me! I said a basenji or spitz type breed because of that tail and a few other hints, and if you look up keeshonds, the wiki quote is
"The Keeshond is a medium-sized dog with a plush, two-layer coat of silver and black fur with a ruff and a curled tail. It originated in Holland, and its closest relatives are the German spitzes such as the Großspitz (Large Spitz), Mittelspitz (Medium Spitz), Kleinspitz (Miniature Spitz)..." so I think I deserve a point for that guess! It's a close relative of spitz breeds, and that's the look that I spotted ;)

My second breed did also say MAYBE Australian Shepherd, so another point, and my third suspicion was some JRT, and you say he has terrier in him plus JRT traits! ;)
AND I said that there would be a parent or grandparent that was a supermutt, so that like my girl, he has a lot of small amounts of different breeds in him, accounting for why it's so hard to guess, and why we can't spot the great pyr in him! :D

So did I win? Did I come closest? I want a prize if so! ;):lol:
Good guesses!

(Also I would recommend looking at what @Fishmanic said in the contest thread)

@Alice B I used to have a JRT (they are my father's favourite breed, so when I wanted a dog as a kid, it had to be a jack russell, I had no choice! lol) and I can see some terrier in his face, and a bit in his stance and paws. That photo where he's standing on a table outside is the one where I see the most terrier traits in him, visually :D It's funny how when the pose differently, or as they mature, you can see different aspects of their breeding in them. And in their behaviours. My dog is mostly English Springer, working line too, and while she's a natural at flushing hedges, zig zag searching, and is super trainable with a 100% recall - she's terrible at hold and retrieve :lol:

With keeshond and great pyrenees in him, no wonder he sheds his own weight in fur! lol. Congrats on getting the great pyre you wanted, even he doesn't really look like one! He still looks wonderful and super cuddleable. :friends:

He is a super cuddle bug and really enjoyed one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies Friday night as it made me sit down a long time. @AdoraBelle Dearheart I think you had the closest guesses. Keeshond is a variety of Spitz, and while the current online description for Ted doesn't mention it, the first one did. I did his test in 2016. Aussie Shepherd was part of one of yours. And his yap is somewhere between JRT and chihuahua. So I joke that I have a great pyr mix that is part chihuahua. His temperamental issues are from Aussie Cattle Dog, which was bred from Dingos, making him a member of the "Primitive Breed" family. I also have a shar pei mix. I have found this article very useful with both Teddy and my Pei. https://www.themoderndogtrainer.net/training-primitive-dogs/

Last edited:
He is a super cuddle bug and really enjoyed one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies Friday night as it made me sit down a long time. @AdoraBelle Dearheart I think you had the closest guesses. Keeshond is a variety of Spitz, and while the current online description for Ted doesn't mention it, the first one did. I did his test in 2016. Aussie Shepherd was part of one of yours. And his yap is somewhere between JRT and chihuahua. So I joke that I have a great pyr mix that is part chihuahua. His temperamental issues are from Aussie Cattle Dog, which was bred from Dingos, making him a member of the "Primitive Breed" family. I also have a shar pei mix. I have found this article very useful with both of Teddy and my Pei. https://www.themoderndogtrainer.net/training-primitive-dogs/
Ooohh, what's the shar pei mix like, looks and personality?
I've met a few, and they've been the typical "stand off-ish with strangers" for the most part, but there is a huge brindle one around here that's super aggressive/reactive, and lunges, barks and snarls at every other dog he sees. Owner keeps him on a large chain and harness and ignores the reactions. Gotta admit, a bit afraid of that dog!

Mine is probably just half pei, and he does not approve of strangers in this house, must sniff the new helper when they first come, and very protective. He is pretty good with other dogs but, he is a half breed. He was terrible with other dogs when I got him in 2012, and almost got taken back to the shelter. I consulted with a pei rescuer on training tips and got a great dog. That passion for primitive breeds article is a good starting point. You have to tell the pei where he is in pack order in words he can understand. I had to tie or crate him where he could watch all the other dogs eat, and when they had finished, feed him. in his crate. For about 2 weeks. Otherwise he would attack my rottweiler who was twice his size at dinner time.

I haven't been able to just put dishes on the floor and tell dogs to sit since 2012, but we have an arrangement, I feed in pack order in crates and age wise he is the oldest but manner wise he is a terrible pack leader so my female dobie mix is pack leader. She can warn a dog that he's messing up, Camelo goes for the throat if he thinks he's in charge. So he isn't. He will be 12 in November, I don't think he will be around a year from now, based on normal life span. And I will not get another shar Pei. But I love my Camelo and we have an understanding. First picture, watching me, staying out from underfoot 2012. 2nd, 2014 with Cici, who is now pack leader.

Attachments

• Camelo-20120826-00744.jpg
    Camelo-20120826-00744.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 41
  • camelo_Cici_may25_2014.jpg
    camelo_Cici_may25_2014.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online