DNA guess Challenge: Teddy (aka Teddy the nutjob, Teddy the SuperDog)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Alice B

Fish Herder
Reaction score
So I adopted Teddy when he was about 10 months old from a shelter, Late December 2014 home trial, adopted first week of January 2015. He was an adoption return, everything on his paperwork was wrong, it said he loved car rides, he has finally outgrown motion sickness. And it said he was a border collie. A year later I had his DNA run because he was unlike any border collie I have ever known.. Here are some pictures. In motion this dog could jump from the middle of my living room to the center of the dining room table in a single bound when he was young. Don't know if he still can, I got rid of the table. He weighs 40 pounds and is now 8 years old. I cannot rehome him, he bonded to me like glue but he doesn't bond to the rest of the pack. He wants to be top male. He is the smallest male. So he hangs out with a submissive pup that got dumped on my street last year, and is not allowed with my big dogs anymore. When my old rottie died, he was pack leader and after he died the males in the pack decided they didn't like Ted, and he wanted to boss them. so Dominant personality, small size, sticks like glue, he does not run off. He ran out the front door once, I sat down on the curb and he jumped in my lap. And that's how I catch Teddy. Teddy loves his crate, it is his secure cave. He buries his toys in his bedding. He sheds a ton, when I threw out his old bedding I found 9 kong Tennis balls, only the best for Ted, and 2 Kong Wubbas.

2015 in back yard, January 2015 in house going to steal Cici's rope ball. It was very cold when I got Teddy, in late December 2014, and for a couple of weeks after. I heat with a wood stove and his hair was thin, probably from poor diet, so he slept in the living room in a crate not far from the stove. On the sofa having a wrestle with Woodstock, my foster dog who was an Aussie Cattle Dog. On left in group picture outdoors
IMG_20150724_192029.jpg
P1010677.JPGP1220737.JPGP1220738.JPG

Last edited:
I think I should let the guesses accumulate for a day or 2. Do you think so @Rocky998 ?
Yes. Especially since you started this thread later in the day (Depending on what side of the pond you are on)

Letting it run, I'm US. I got the DNA test in 2016. It will wait, lol
Can't you at least say if one of my guesses were right? 😅...
Nah don't spoil it lol

Shepherd, malamute, kelpie cross or something along those lines. Definitely shepherd cross. That's what mine was and she looked identical to yours, right down to the small floppy ears and cream band across her back and down her sides. She also had a dominant personality and we got her in December 2000 just before Xmas.

Triple coat, at least that's what I called it because she had 2 types of hair. It was only a double coat really but it was different. The course bristles that gave her the normal colour. Then in cool weather she got this really soft cream coloured hair that grew through the old coat and almost doubled her size. She looked like a completely different dog in winter. In spring I would take her brush to the park and she would sit there while I groomed all the winter coat out. Afterwards there was a hair outline of a dog, like the old chalk outlines from a crime scene. Then all the birds would come down and grab the hair for their nests.

Teddy is "blowing his coat" today, the creamy fluff is coming out by the handful. Teddy does have a triple coat. You can dump water on him and it never touches his skin.

His companion there is Shadow who weighs about 50 pounds, Teddy weighs 40. Let me know when I should do the reveal. I was totally surprised when I got his results. I need to get Shadow's DNA run, he's a hoot!

Attachments

• 20220627_141608.jpg
    20220627_141608.jpg
    495.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220627_141534.jpg
    20220627_141534.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Maybe do the results on Thursday evening. That should give enough time for the people who want to be involved to guess.

My guess for Teddy remains the same...

Shadow definitely has some Doberman in him.

Shadow was dumped on my street first week of May 2021, no microchip of course, since his dog food bag was left leaning against the telephone pole. He adopted me after I took him a bowl of water, and my helper, since we had to take him to work with us that day. He does love his Stephanie too. My guess on his DNA is doberman mixed with german shepherd (the ears and no sign of them having been cropped), and he has light patch with spotting on his chest similar to red heeler spots. He is so light though, like a greyhound light, and tall in proportion to his width, very long legged. Stephanie and her husband have an older greyhound and once in a while I take Shadow over to visit and they go in the pasture and just run and run. I have never seen a Kelpie, so like I said, I'm looking forward to running his DNA. He is a sweet boy and quite smart. I've had him fully vetted and chipped. My vet estimated he was 6 months old in May 2021 so have picked an early December approximate birth date for him. The pound was full when he was dumped and I didn't surrender him.... Just set him up a crate. He adopted me and moved right in. I believe he was raised in an apartment. No problem with crate, took the dog outside and said potty and he pottied.

Thursday I will dig out the official DNA report on Teddy and post the info.

Black and tan kelpies are an Australian sheep dog. They come in a small/medium and large size and have the pointy ears. They are the smartest breed of dog and are built for running. They are full on working dogs who go nuts in the average backyard due to boredom. On a farm property they will run all day and round up sheep. The good ones will go eye to eye with sheep and stare down even the meanest sheep. But they are also very gentle when it comes to handling the sheep and use eye contact and brains to control them, rather than force.

Sometimes you see a documentary with dogs running across the back of sheep, they are usually Kelpies.

A couple of good Kelpies can control a mob of 100 sheep without any problems.

I'm gonna move my guesses over from Rocky's thread :D
Definitely not pure border collie - wow, he's a really tricky one to identify breeds in! I like the challenge :D Very cute!
I thought pitbull/German Shepherd/some kind other kind of terrier mixed in, but that tail is throwing me for a loop! the tail suggest either a basenji or a spitz is in there somewhere fairly prominently too...
And then his paws/hocks as well! Hmm, I have a feeling that the DNA results are really interesting! I honestly can't tell! So I think like mine, there's a parent or grandparent that's what they call nowadays a supermutt, so that there's a good mix of DNA in there in varying amounts :D

But my first and strongest suspicion for main or most unusual breed is that a basenji or spitz type is a big chunk.
Second - border collie (MAYBE Australian Shepherd, which we don't really have here, so I'm less familiar with them).
Third- Jack Russell.
Fourth - labrador.

So please hurry and make your guesses, @Rocky998 , 'cos I'm dying to hear what the DNA test said!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back