DIY?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I have one of these long grabber tools which was bought to reach things on high shelves or if something falls behind an appliance or other item. I repurposed it to use when I need to move something around at the bottom of my tanks..especially on my 35 gallon tall tank that is 24 inches high. Works great to avoid getting your arm wet.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RT1P315/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Any specific type of glass I need to get?
Just tell the glass shop you are building an aquarium. The glass should be normal glass that breaks into big pieces, not safety glass that shatters into lots of little pieces.

The glass needs to be a certain thickness and this depends on how big the tank is.
If the tank is 2ft long x 12 inches wide x 12 inches high, you can use 4 or 5mm thick glass, (5mm is safer and less likely to bulge out or crack).
If the tank is 18 inches wide x 18 inches high, use 6mm thick glass.
If the tank is 2ft wide or 2ft high, use 10mm thick glass.
If the tank is 30inches high or wide, you use 12-15mm thick glass.

If you visit the local pet shop, you can look at their tanks and measure the thickness of the glass. That should give you an idea of how thick it needs to be for the tank.

Buying glass from a glass shop and building your own tank can actually cost more than buying a new tank from a pet shop so work out prices before you try this. Most places that build aquariums to supply the shops, get the glass cheaper than what you or I would pay if we walk into a glass company and buy the glass.

I use the plastic bottle to reduce filter noise.
except I did it to control fish food being sucked away and my duckweed from being battered to death.
I used two bottles{1 cheap flimsy water btl& 1 just barely bigger} cut the tops off and placed them inside the other so where the closed bottoms where facing out, making 1side the new bottom I then cut a large hole{making sure the holes line up, for flow of water and oxygen purposes, bubbles are still pushed down into the water and if any fry swim in they can find one of several holes to vacate)& several small holes in the portions to be under water thus creating a little pocket for my water& air to flow into/through

Last edited:
Deanasue your idea of adding a glass pond in your dining room could be a reality!!.
You just need to keep your husband strayed for 7 days huh? Send him to the arcade!! LOL:):):)

I use the plastic bottle to reduce filter noise.
except I did it to control fish food being sucked away and my duckweed from being battered to death.
Please tell us more about what we need to do to MAKE our duckweed get battered to death :rofl:

Deanasue your idea of adding a glass pond in your dining room could be a reality!!.
You just need to keep your husband strayed for 7 days huh? Send him to the arcade!! LOL:):):)
I could send him to Meacum Auction.

CollinT and your husband will enjoy India after lassi made pure in vidyabhavan.

#COLLIN,VOTE!!!

You can use plastic water bottles and cut them to size as a baffle. Silicone them with aquarium safe silicone.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back