DIY Stand for 75/90 Gallon Tanks

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SgtSparkles

Reaction score
I made these with a pretty simple design and basic hardware store lumber. The screws switch threads at the end so the last half inch pull the lumber together. The chop saw was purchased at a pawn shop for $40. One of the tanks is already filled with water and cycling. Stand is holding up great.

do not want to be seen as rude, but I must point out an issue of concern with this stand for me.
With no support under that top 2x4, all the weight of those tanks is hanging on the screws alone.
Glass tanks with gravel and water in them weigh about 11-12 pounds per gallon, so you have about 800 pounds, divided by the number of screws, on each screw.

Most screws are much weaker to snapping from sideways sheer force than they are to pulling out, and an aquarium is considered to be a live load, meaning for safety'sake, you want to support several times the actual weight.

If it were me, I would seriously consider either using lag bolts, or a second 2x4 running right next to the legs and directly under the bottom of the top 2x4on each leg, like Joey did in his build at about 13 minutes in.
It should be fairly simple, since that part of your frame is basically his inside out.

Might be overkill, but personally I would much rather over build something than to risk underbuilding it.

Last edited:
I do not want to be seen as rude, but I must point out an issue of concern with this stand for me.
With no support under that top 2x4, all the weight of those tanks is hanging on the screws alone.
Glass tanks with gravel and water in them weigh about 11-12 pounds per gallon, so you have about 800 pounds, divided by the number of screws, on each screw.

Most screws are much weaker to snapping from sideways sheer force than they are to pulling out, and an aquarium is considered to be a live load, meaning for safety'sake, you want to support several times the actual weight.

Might be overkill, but personally I would much rather over build something than to underbuild it.
I appreciate the concern. I once shared the same concern util looking at what commercial stands for 90 gallon tanks are built like. Nothing but pine, glue, and staples

I appreciate the concern. I once shared the same concern util looking at what commercial stands for 90 gallon tanks are built like. Nothing but pine, glue, and staples

Honestly, I don't know how they avoid a lawsuit with a design like that....

I looked inside the frame of a 125 gallon, at the lfs, was shocked to see one only, even in a stand that big.

Didn't even see a 1x4.

I looked inside the frame of a 125 gallon, at the lfs, was shocked to see one only, even in a stand that big.

Didn't even see a 1x4.
don't forget those pine and staples stands are also like $150. I trust mine more than that at least.

Didn't even see a 1x4.
It's worth mentioning that I run a bit behind on the video production schedule so the tank is actually filled and stocked now. Two baby Oscar's.

cheap stands/ cabinets that you buy from pet shops last for a few years but they eventually become loose and wobbly, then you need to replace them.

I over engineer my stands and they last 20+ years. Bolts, reinforcing brackets and anything else I can put on it. If I can climb on a stand and it doesn't move, it is good. :)

It's worth mentioning that I run a bit behind on the video production schedule so the tank is actually filled and stocked now. Two baby Oscar's.

This is off topic, but worth mentioning to avoid anyone reading the above and thinking it is a good permanent arrangement.
While two babies are OK for a 75 gallon, a good rule of thumb I think for full grown oscars is 75 gallons minimum, and an additional 50 for each additional one, although often two adult males will not tolerate each other's presence once the hormones kick in.

Oscar's can often live to be older than ten years in Ideal conditions, and an old one with very good Genes and consistent exceptional water quality can get 12 or 14 inches, (33-35cm), and weigh as much as two pounds (almost a full kilo)

They grow fast too, often an inch a month until reaching 9" or 10" with good food and strict attention to water quality, and one post by a member on another forum stated that he managed to get 2 inches a month with a 180 gallon, heavy feeding, and 50% water changes every 2 days.
They slow down after this, but like most fish, never really stop growing

The IGFA World Record Oscar was 3 pounds, 8 ounces, or 1.58kg, and in the record details, measured 15 inches, or 38.1cm.
Judging by the spread of the weight of the four fish listed in the Record History, the top two were likely The Oscar equivalent to Shaquille O'Neal in terms of average size, but I think it's important to note that they can occasionally get this big in the wild.

IGFA all tackle world record for Oscar:
http://wrec.igfa.org/WRecordsList.aspx?lc=AllTackle&cn=Oscar

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back