DIY Siphon Hose

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sharlene1385

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, so when you got nothing you learn to think of new things. I have never had a siphon hose or gravel cleaner, vacuum, or anything like one. I borrowed a friends one to clean out turtle tank. I do want to get one, but money is tight and we will be moving soon. So in the mean time, since this is my first 10 Gal or higher tank with fish, I needed a better way to change the water then just putting fish in bowl and scrubbing down the 5 gal. I never knew about helpful bacteria. So, anyway.... now to the DIY. I remembered we had some extra air hose left, and I didn't feel like useing a bucket to do a 50 % or more change with all the plants and stuff. Then I thought, I don't want to suck up fish water in my mouth, I mean I love them but thats a little too much love. lol. So I found an old CLEAN eye dropper/medicine dropper. This is a small one that was used for cat medicine or could be used for that, we have some we bought. Anyway, I picked one that was small enough to fit the tip inside the air hose, and put air hose in end in tank and held dropper over bucket. Then I pulled the thingy to make it suck the water out and voila' Instant siphon! A bit slow, but I imagine with bigger hose and bigger dropper, so could do more. I pulled the plug thing out and let the water just flow out. To stop water, push plug back in and push air through to tank. Then repeat to start. I was able to use the hose to clean a small amount of old food and stuff out of rocks, not strong enough to do entire tank completly... but it will work when on a tight budget. Also, its small enough to get into some small crevises in the crystal or rock things, and didn't bother the fish. Just be sure you clean it good before use. Like I said, its only a temporary solution to a low money supply, but I thought someone might want to know about it, in case they need to wait for money like I do.

if its only 10g just buy one (only like 4.50usd) unless u want a python (about 50$)

I might use that method on my 1 gallon betta tanks, since the turkey baster method doesn't seem to work for me :dunno:

Good idea for a smaller one. I wish I had though of it a long time ago. I'm in luck through.. Petco has vacuum for $4.00 and its small. Perfect. Anyway, I thought it would be good around a shrimp...I'd be afraid of sucking it up in the gravel cleaner, but this won't suck one up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back