DIY Plexiglass Aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month šŸ†
Reaction score
Hi! Is it possible to make a diy plexiglass aquarium? How thick does the plexiglass have to be? Can it be sealed with silicone like a typical glass tank? Iā€™m thinking of making a Small one no more than 6 gallons for my sisters betta, but of course wanted to hear yā€™allā€™s opinions.

Hi! Is it possible to make a diy plexiglass aquarium? How thick does the plexiglass have to be? Can it be sealed with silicone like a typical glass tank? Iā€™m thinking of making a Small one no more than 6 gallons for my sisters betta, but of course wanted to hear yā€™allā€™s opinions.
It sounds like a good idea! Hope people give good advice to making it.

You can buy blueprints on how to make them. An easy google.

Don't know. Why don't you just use glass. Go to your local glazier and ask for some second hand 6mm glass and away you go. They will usually give it to you because it costs them to dump it. Cutting glass is easy. Look online how it is done. Buy a tube of Silicone (Aquarium).

Don't know. Why don't you just use glass. Go to your local glazier and ask for some second hand 6mm glass and away you go. They will usually give it to you because it costs them to dump it. Cutting glass is easy. Look online how it is done. Buy a tube of Silicone (Aquarium).
Think itā€™s awesome how you whip up those tanks. Plexiglass and acrylic are expensive here. I bought a modest sized piece for a water color and was shocked at the price. The original glass had broken during shipping & I was concerned about breakage. Again. It had complex matting & Iā€™m no picture framer. Shops wanted a few hundred to reframe.

You can buy blueprints on how to make them. An easy google.

Tank plans above hood plans. Not sure why ir came up lIke this.
Anyway, many DIY tank plans online

Ohhhhhhhhhhh ok. Thanks!
Because I havenā€™t got a local glazier unfortunately.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh ok. Thanks!

Because I havenā€™t got a local glazier unfortunately.
If you do order check online prices for plexiglass/acrylic. We went with Loweā€™s because online wanted to sell 4x8 ft sheets & we didnā€™t need that much, do Loweā€™s was cheaper. They custom cut the piece I needed. Bet they custom cut glass there too.

If you do order check online prices for plexiglass/acrylic. We went with Loweā€™s because online wanted to sell 4x8 ft sheets & we didnā€™t need that much, do Loweā€™s was cheaper. They custom cut the piece I needed. Bet they custom cut glass there too.
ohhhhh ok, thank you!

Welcome. Once I was googling acrylic tanks & something comes up for $12.95. Iā€™m all like WHAT? Is it for a dollhouse? turns out they were selling instructions that can be found free online.

Yes , it is possible.
Thickness depends on size. More stress goes on the height of the tank, so if it is a tall tank, you'd need thicker material.
I am not aware of silicone being a good adhesive. I use chemical bonding on mine.
For the amount of effort it takes, it may be more efficient to buy a small tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back