Diy Led Project (led's On A Budget)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RossC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Due to an unforseen cost of uni books that have made a real dent in the bank balance I can't get some awesome Custom LED's from PS3Steveo which I'm fed up about but hey thats student life.

Anyway I came here really to ask if 3 of these would keep my heavily planted tank healthy? Its already a low light tank running 20W T8 and everything is still nice and green. The main reason to why I want to convert to LED is because of the cheaper running costs and the nice shimmer effect they produce. What do you think?

If you've got any suggestions my budget is £60 or less

3.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Or even these? Seem a bit stronger and I could mount them under the current hood.

don't know how good your diy skills are but
3 x 10w leds ~ £20
1 x 900ma 30w driver ~ £15
1 x length aluminumium box section ~ £10

courtesy of ebay and a certain diy store

don't know how good your diy skills are but
3 x 10w leds ~ £20
1 x 900ma 30w driver ~ £15
1 x lengaluminumium box section ~ £10

courtesy of ebay and a certain diy store
Is it just a case of soldering the LEDs in a series to the driver then the driver to a plug?

yup. oh and fixing the led's to the bar/heatsink don't forget some heatpaste.

self tapping screws, drill aluminium and screw led's in place. BandQ search aluminium. Or you may get some elsewhere the thicker the better, previously mentioned is 20mm wide x 10mm high x 1m long i think lol
no resistors if using proper driver.

Need lens' on the LEDs too otherwise you'll waste a load of light and don't screw them on as the lens' won't fit. Ali box section you want at least 2x1 inch otherwise it won't conduct enough heat.

never needed lens with these yet they have 140 degree spread which is no worse than you average t5 tube set up, plus by not using lenses it reduces the spotlight effect often seen in set ups that do use lenses. btw ross sent you pm with aluminium.

I'd love to give the DIY a go but I wouldn't have a clue what LED's to buy and I know nothing about the lenses or degree's spread. :(

These LED's?

no mate not them pm sent as I am not allowed to post open links.

just for your interest I run a 50w version on my 2ft cube at the moment and very happy so far with no lenses either.

Trust me you want lens', I should know I've built about 30 units and you don't get spot light effect, you want more LEDs, less wattage too for even spread.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back