diy co2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

vanderdraay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi its been a while since i last posted but would love some help ,imade a simple diy system with the 2litre coke bottles but i need advice on stopping the gas at night when the lights are off ,are there any systems i can make to allow the gas to be switched off at night ,my tank is a jewel vision 450 i had a system running but stopped due to a heavy build up off algae ,could anyone help advise me on items to add to the system to stop the gas running at night ,as you've probably guessed i'm very new to the plant growth side of things so detailed advice wold be very helpful thanks

Ok I also use diy co2 and what I do since I have so many plants is leave it on at night.I would say you might just want to lieave it in to avoid fluctuations,Plus you cant realy shut it off without taking it out of the tank otherwise the bottle would explode.

If you have fish in the aquarium, you should never have CO2 running during darkness. Darkness meaning whenever the tank lighting is not on full. This is an easy way to poison your fish. I am able to discern the natural buildup of CO2 during darkness which is why it is important to have surface disturbance at night.

CO2 does not displace oxygen therefore having co2 running at night as long as you have a good amount of surface agitation is fine.

CO2 does not displace oxygen therefore having co2 running at night as long as you have a good amount of surface agitation is fine.

"CO2 does not displace oxygen" is a false statement.

During darkness, fish and plants continue to respire, taking up oxygen and giving off CO2. This will reduce oxygen levels and increase CO2. The dissolved CO2 will bind both with minerals like calcium (creating bicarbonates that raise hardness and alkalinity, and with organics which creates carbonic acid that will lower pH. This diurnal fluctuation will raise the levels of oxygen, hardness and pH during daylight, and lower all three during night.

This occurs in natural waters. In the aquarium, it can be greatly amplified. It would take considerable surface disturbance to drive off the CO2. There is no logical reason to run CO2 during darkness because plants cannot take it up, and it can easily saturate the water. There are plentiful reports of massive fish deaths overnight due to CO2 poisoning to make it a risk. And even if the CO2 increase is minimal, it is affecting fish, and this is not something any responsible aquarist should allow.

Tied to this is the drop in pH during the night, caused by the accumulation of CO2. A fluctuation of a few decimal places can be handled, and this can occur in natural waters. But the increase in CO2 from artificial addition can easily cause a more substantial, greater than 1 degree, and that alone can negatively impact the fish.

I do not use any for of artificial CO2, but first thing in the morning I can sometimes observe the increase in respiration from fish, including more frequent breaching of the surface by Corydoras fish, due solely to the increased CO2 from the plants overnight. It can take a lot of surface disturbance to dissipate this, and this becomes less likely when you have artificial CO2 entering the system during the night.

Byron.

Ok yes with fish breathing co2 will become more abundant than oxygen.But otherwise oxygen does get replaced by co2 and it has been proven.

You do not need to add CO2 there is plenty in your tank.

This is the best CO2 injector in the world.
51fXwl9UfmL._SY355_.jpg

The global average concentration of CO2 in Earth's atmosphere is currently about 0.04%, or 400 parts per million by volume (ppm)

As your air pump pumps air into the tank it also pumps CO2 in, as fish breathe they release CO2 into the water, as plant matter decays it releases CO2 into the water, why do you need to add more?

My rant.

I am a fish keeper my tanks and everything in them including plants are there to serve my fish, If a plant starts looking a bit off, I have no problems ripping it out and buying a new one to replace it.

If your fish need a low light low current tank that what they should get and you select plants that are suitable.

I am with Byron on this, The less crap you add to the water the better.

Look at the tank in my sig, Low light virtually no current, no CO2, 5 drops of Seachem Floursh comprehensive every 2 weeks. The plants at the back are 2 feet tall.

Last edited:
This is true,Now looking at this evidence all diy co2 will cause is black algae from co2 fluctuations do go with Nick and Byrons suggestions and forget mine.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back