DIY Cichlid cave

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishfaced

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I'm in the process of making a small cave for my dwarf ram cichlid.
I've used a small porcelain cup, super glue and sand from my tank.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this is a bad idea for whatever reason.
Looking for advice and piece of mind before adding it to the tank.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210910_125037.jpg
    20210910_125037.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 115
If you have used the gel variant, the water will harden it in a few minutes, if using the liquid type, you can submerge almost immediately but personally I would leave it out of the aquarium for 12 hours or so to make sure its truly stuck. This due to the gel being more "co-operative" and stays where you squirt it...whereas the liquid version goes wandering all over the place and doesn't always stick as firmly where you actually aimed it.

If you have used the gel variant, the water will harden it in a few minutes, if using the liquid type, you can submerge almost immediately but personally I would leave it out of the aquarium for 12 hours or so to make sure its truly stuck. This due to the gel being more "co-operative" and stays where you squirt it...whereas the liquid version goes wandering all over the place and doesn't always stick as firmly where you actually aimed it.
Thanks. I'll add it tomorrow after a vac and water change.

Agree it will be fine. I used to attach coral frags with superglue.

Brilliant idea by the way, looks great!

Agree it will be fine. I used to attach coral frags with superglue.

Brilliant idea by the way, looks great!
Thanks, had it curing in a bowl of water for a few hours. Now in place and he's checking out his new hide

Attachments

• 20210910_172151.jpg
    20210910_172151.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 20210910_172304.jpg
    20210910_172304.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 106
Nice little diy job, perfect!

I like the look of it in the tank and the ram looks perfectly at home in it :)

Tip, when checking glues, any superglue that is 100% Cyanoacrylate is good to use in aquarium, I’ve used this many time for gluing plants to decor and wood no problem at all.

Also most aquarium silicon is fine as long as it has no additives or anti fungal ingredients, that’s good for sticking things together for aquaria.

Nice little diy job, perfect!

I like the look of it in the tank and the ram looks perfectly at home in it :)

Tip, when checking glues, any superglue that is 100% Cyanoacrylate is good to use in aquarium, I’ve used this many time for gluing plants to decor and wood no problem at all.

Also most aquarium silicon is fine as long as it has no additives or anti fungal ingredients, that’s good for sticking things together for aquaria.
Cheers, came out alright.
Thanks for the advice

Most reactions

Back