Diving Back In

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TalkingCichlid

Reaction score
Used to keep Cichlids 40 years ago. Set up a small 10g a couple of years back until I could talk my DH into a decent sized tank. Currently setting up a 36 bowfront completely planted. I have been collecting parts and equipment for the past couple of months and I am now nearing the fun part of doing the aqua-scape. I have never used CO2 before so I'm here to absorb all the info I can. .....I'm sure I'll have a billion questions!

I have an established cichlid tank, 90 G with a 20 G sump, fish, tanks etc purchased from a classified ad. I’m new to the hobby, but have only heard of people using CO2 for growing red plants etc. is it an advantage to a cichlid tank? These guys are excavators & dig up plants in the sand substate. I have Java ferns mounted to upright acrylic poles.
87843F73-9AB6-47D3-B58C-63AF307CDFA4.jpeg

Guess I wasn't clear. I used to have Cichlids-5 tanks of them but my new bowfront will be a community tank - with only a small nod to cichlids in the form of Angels. I am planning on having a couple of red plants and a purple and want to have a heavy carpet for shrimp. I want to have Kuhli loach but as I was outlining parameters, I'm not sure that will be possible because of the ph the loaches need.

I see. You want the CO2 for the plants? Looking forward to photos of your tank. I really like bow fronted ones.
I have some red plants, forget name, doing OK in a low tech betta 10 G tank. They are in that expensive Fluval soil based substate that looks like pellets. $17 for 4 pds as I recall. Fairly certain these plants will never look as intensely red as those in CO2 injected tanks, but at least they’re not dying or melting as the fish folks say.

I would try the plants without CO2 to begin with and if they struggle, then maybe try CO2. But there is heaps of CO2 in aquariums and you don't normally need to add it.

I would try the plants without CO2 to begin with and if they struggle, then maybe try CO2. But there is heaps of CO2 in aquariums and you don't normally need to add it.
That is "sort of" the plant although I'm going to plumb the CO2 line in during tank set up. I have an electronic meter that attaches to a solenoid on the tank to automatically adjust the output. I plan to get the plants in and start the tank running, experiment a bit with the gas so I know how it works (and that I've got the settings correct) before adding livestock. In my readings, it seems that it is impossible to have a green carpet without the CO2 and bright light. The green carpet is a "must have" for the shrimp colony I want in the bottom of the tank. I kept shrimp before and they did well until the plants faded. I believe the real problem was the light wasn't bright enough but I'd hate to set up the aquarium and then tear it all down again to replace plants and add the CO2. My build is going at a snail's pace but that's okay........I've quick set aquariums in the past and usually always wish I had slowed down.

If you use CO2, make sure you have enough KH (carbonate hardness) in the tank to stop the CO2 dropping the pH.

If you use CO2, make sure you have enough KH (carbonate hardness) in the tank to stop the CO2 dropping the pH.
I purchased a Milwaukie MC122 meter/controller to regulate CO2 flow and turn the CO2 if it changes the pH. I'm planning to run the set-up without any livestock for a bit to get a grip on how the system works. Running CO2 is all new to me so I'm looking for any pointers I can get. I did buy a KH test kit so I will be able to test it.

That is "sort of" the plant although I'm going to plumb the CO2 line in during tank set up. I have an electronic meter that attaches to a solenoid on the tank to automatically adjust the output. I plan to get the plants in and start the tank running, experiment a bit with the gas so I know how it works (and that I've got the settings correct) before adding livestock. In my readings, it seems that it is impossible to have a green carpet without the CO2 and bright light. The green carpet is a "must have" for the shrimp colony I want in the bottom of the tank. I kept shrimp before and they did well until the plants faded. I believe the real problem was the light wasn't bright enough but I'd hate to set up the aquarium and then tear it all down again to replace plants and add the CO2. My build is going at a snail's pace but that's okay........I've quick set aquariums in the past and usually always wish I had slowed down.
Have fun

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back