FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KatieDid09

Reaction score
So I've recently been moved to get back into Bettas because it always depresses me to see the ones at walmart in their tiny containers just sitting there at the bottom motionless. So I've done a bit of research and discovered that Bettas should have at least 5 gallons of water per fish. So I have a 55 gallon I'm not using and want to use it to start rescuing Bettas. I've heard you can put more than one in a non-divided tank if you provide ample hiding spaces for the fish, bit that may take a while to set up and these fish are suffering in the mean time so I'm thinking I'm just gonna get dividers. Any thoughts or suggestions? Like should I get 5 small separate filters? Or one big one? What kind of plants should I put in? Live plants or fake? I need direction please help!

I hate to say this because I know your heart is in the right place, but you won't be able to rescue bettas. In reality, if you buy 10, they say we sold 10! Let's replace them with more! There will always be a steady stream of bettas coming in. My suggestion would be to call or write a letter telling them you will NOT be shopping there for fish until their bettas are kept in better conditions. That's just my advice.
If you see a betta you love, I think you can get him and give him a good home. But buying all the stock the store has only drives their desire to replace them for more money. :(

I would never buy fish from Walmart. Their costumer service is so bad, how do you think they treat the fish, who can't complain to their manager? I've heard horror stories about Walmart fish selling practices, and will never endorse that by buying fish from them. I would suggest buying your bettas somewhere else if at all possible.
Real plants are probably better if you can do that. I would be very careful with putting male bettas together, you may want to consider a female tank as they are more docile. If you are going to go with the male bettas I would have a small tank (about five to fifteen gallons) on hand as a hospital/recovery tank. Bettas are not healthy when they come from the fish store (not just Walmart, nearly any fish store), and the other bettas may see the weakness and pick on them. Also, it would protect the old bettas from any disease the new ones might bring, andif you see a betta who is constantly being picked on you could put him in the hospital tank.
good luck.

I've heard you can put more than one in a non-divided tank if you provide ample hiding spaces for the fish
Not males

Females can be kept in a sorority BUT the tank needs to be heavily planted, I would not recommend a sorority to a novice.

If I am not mistaken Baccus has a sorority tank and might be able to advise you on the best set up.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back