DISGUSTED

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
While on a crawl of all the local fish shops today i came across some glassfish that have been artificially coloured with green blue and pink dayglow dyes,up until now i had thought dyed fish were something of an urban myth but now having seen them with my own eyes i can say only one thing DISGUSTING.Why on earth does anyone feel that there aren't enough already stunning fish out there and have to do this to a fish that is beautiful in its own right,i shall never be visiting this store again and they are damn lucky i dont name and shame them (they are a very well known English brand name).Right thats my little rant over sorry folks but i had to get that off my chest.

Cat Fish Crazy,

I hate to tell you this, but the dyed fish have been available here in the States for many years now. Not only glass fish though - I've also seen white tetras done this way. I agree with you, it's disgusting and I think it should be outlawed.

CFC - I totally agree with you, dyeing is disgusting and should be banned.

Imagine being stuck repeatedly with a hypodermic the size of a pencil :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I understand why you don't want to name them on the open forum, but could you PM the name of the shop to me so I make sure I don't give them any business.

Cheers, Eddie

Ive seen the same glass fish at one of my lfs. Ic ould tell straight away this was dye. It just looked unnatural. I think its pretty sad not to mention v. Cruel. I asked the storeman why he sold them and he said 'cause they sell.' :S

I think I could guess which store your talking about because the one I went too is a preety well known Name also.

Inject the shop managers with dye and see if they like it. :grr:

Couldn't agree more with everyone. :sick:
When I took my daughter to buy her first fish she was drawn to these dyed fish because to an 10 year old they look "cool" under the light's.. I calmly (through my teeth mind ya) explained to her how the fish got the colors and how alot of fish die because of this practice and She wanted no part of it. :thumbs: We went home with our mollies instead.( was a proud mom moment for sure :* )
The LFS won't even tell most people that the fish are dyed by injection or that the effect only lasts for so long. It should be illegal!
:crazy: :angry: :grr:
End of venting

Here in North Carolina, I have yet to go into one petstore that doesn't sell these poor little creatures. Even the Big Major chain petstores have them. It definitely should be outlawed. They have animal cruelty laws. How come that doesn't fall into that category. The US should refuse shipment of these fish into the country.

I also have seen fish that had been dyed at the time I didn't know they had been dyed until I told a mate about them but I didn't Kow that is how they did it I'm really glad I did buy any!

Unfortunately money comes before animal welfare for some people (remember 'Aquababies', anyone?). We can do our bit by boycotting these places and educating people. We will win this battle eventually, It'll just take a little time and patience. It's encouraging that most people are aware of the practice and want to do something about it though, keep up the good work guys and gals :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back