disgusted with diy...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

guppygirl

This picture just won champion in BW flowers!! YAY
Reaction score
First place at State 4-H horse show!! WHOOEE!!
:angry:
Well I think I'll give up on the diy co2 system, I've already tried it twice, and the first one didn't work and now the second one was putting out too much, and then it quit in 1 day. Now my mom and I are all angry with each other, I can't seem to figuire it out. :angry:
So I'm thinking I want to get a semi-automatic pressurized co2 system, the tanks aren't hugely expensive are they? What size tank would I need?
I live in the us, and I was looking on drs. foster and smith and ebay. I couldn't find anything on ebay, and foster had one system for $129. Is there one I could get that is cheaper, or better? Here is the foster and smith one. co2 system
Is the glass diffuser good, or finicky and ineffecient? I don't want something I have to continually mess with. If it is bad, what diffuser can I use?
Thanks for all your help guys, I hope you guys have some encouraging advice! :)
~Robin

guppygirl said:
1: the first one didn't work
2: the second one was putting out too much, and then it quit in 1 day.
1) Probably silicon didn't set/seal right, happens to everybody at some point.
2) Too much yeast or not enough sugar. Did you make sure to do 1 teaspoon to 2 cups of sugar? The thing is, oddly enough, 1 teaspoon is almost perfect. I tried 1 & 1/8 tsp and it did the same thing: high flow rate (like it was hooked up to an air pump) but within a few days no more CO2. So I tried doing 3/4 teaspoons and it was just barely going, but for 2 weeks. So it's really an experimental trial and error deal. Although it probably depends on the brand/type of yeast you are using so anyway... Don't let a couple of mistakes get you discouraged becuase DIY really isn't all that bad.

The CO2 tank itself won't cost you much but it's the regulators and pH controller and all that other stuff that will. Although, it's probably worth it if you're really dedicated to the hobby.

Those glass diffusers look really nice. The only problem I've ever heard about them is that the holes are so small that even a little algae growth will impeed the flow of CO2 so you have to clean them off alot with a toothbrush. I would get one but don't know where to find them.

well, the problem is, gf225, I have a 55 gallon. :X I think I will get them for my 20 gallon though.
I think you have found the problem, nospherith!!! My mom insisted I use the whole packet of yeast! No wonder. It was putting out like 10 bubbles per second!! :eek:
The silicone isn't the problem, I have nipples in there with rubber washers AND silicone on both sides. And it's smelled airtight, before I opened it and dumped it, there was no trace of yeast smell.
The problem is I'm using so much sugar! I guess I'd better buy bigger packages!
Well, looks like I should try again. :)
Thanks guys, if it doesn't work again, I'll probably invest in a pressurized co2 system. :)
~Robin

what is your mixture your using guppygirl?

Angry: Im interested in your mixture do you mind posting it? Also size tank... (Sorry to go off your thread guppy)

ha ha.....thanks....it took me ages to get the exact recipe right.

2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon bicarb soda (baking soda)
1 and 1/4 teaspoons yeast

All into a 2L coke bottle. Add tepid water (just warm, if it feels slightly "too warm" then it probably is, I err on the side of cooler) just to where top starts narrowing. I have 2 2L coke bottles joined with a T-piece bubbling through and airstone. Yes, peeps say airstones don't work well but it works fine for me. The airstone is almost at the level of the gravel.

Tank size is 30gal

HTH :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back