Disease or not?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

james80000

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I got back from my holidays on Friday,after one week. My nana was looking after the tank, she seemed to do a good job! This isnt really an emergency, its just I saw on one of the dwarf gouramis that there was a big red cut just below his eye. It is as if his gillflap has been ripped off. There doesnt seem to be any change in the last couple of days, it may be my imagination but it seems to me as if it is growing. It is very red but it is only on one side. Disease or will it heal?

could be a couple of things. If you have a look at the stick post at the start of this forum and try to answer the Q's there please.

Well I thought that the injury was healing, so I decided to leave it alone. today it looked the best it has looked and really seemed to be coming along. However (there is always a however with me¬!) - this evening, i noticed he was jumping up catching a load of bubbles and then letting them out on his way down. This happened a few times and then he lay down on a plant, he soon fell off and drifted around with no control. He is now on the bottom of the tank and breathing (With tremendous difficulty). It looks as if he is suffocating. All other fish are ok and there is enough oxygen in the tank. I can see his gill working inside the wound, this is probably what caused it. What do I do??? btw, it is an emergencey now!

What you have just described is known as the death spiral. You can either help him out or let him pass on his own. Doesn't sound like he'll make it at all.

What kind of conditioner are you using and how much?
Does the gill look inflamed by any chance?

Rose

Well he died. I havent used conditioner in a good while. But it looks like the cut that did it. At least I know he was beyond help!

Sorry to hear of his passing. You did what you could. Rose

Most reactions

trending

Back