Disease in hybrids.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy c

Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest here. I love all fish but we have a problem in the hybrid world. I have 3 tanks in my house a 120, a 75 and a 50 salt. I have 10 year old plus hybrids in my freshwater. I have lately seen 1 to 5 yr old hybrid fish coming up with hole in the head and other diseases. I am now gonna e n d my hybrid endeavor. We need to work together to find what's wrong . This is all I have to say.

The hybrid fish community has always been dodgy at best, I think it is credit to your fish keeping ability to have 10 year old hybrids.

Could you share a photo for other members? I personally not a fan of hybrid fish but a lot of cichlids in the hobby are hybrids , blood parrots for one and lots of speculation surrounding Midas and Red Devil cichlids as to what’s what’s anymore , even with the green terror the mix of Saum and other have been in there blood lines so long that hybrids are becoming known as common names

Could you share a photo for other members? I personally not a fan of hybrid fish but a lot of cichlids in the hobby are hybrids , blood parrots for one and lots of speculation surrounding Midas and Red Devil cichlids as to what’s what’s anymore , even with the green terror the mix of Saum and other have been in there blood lines so long that hybrids are becoming known as common names

Attachments

• 20210214_200007.jpg
    20210214_200007.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210214_195937.jpg
    20210214_195937.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210214_200004.jpg
    20210214_200004.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 20210214_202056.jpg
    20210214_202056.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20210218_153540.jpg
    20210218_153540.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20210218_003454.jpg
    20210218_003454.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 52
Hole in the head disease is caused by a dirty tank, dirty gravel, dirty filter and lack of water changes.

A lot of hybrid fishes are inbred and this makes them weaker than normal fish. A classic example is the weird cichlid (flowerhorn) made in China that they keep inbreeding to get a bigger and bigger lump on the head. It just makes the fish weaker.

If you want good strong healthy fish, get parents that are good quality and unrelated and you will get better young.

I'm with @Colin_T on this...review more closely your tank habits, perhaps with a fresh pair of eyes.
It's often too easy to attribute a disease or condition, to something beyond our control and perhaps miss the obvious.

Granted, messing with gene pools can often have a detrimental effect. I'm always reminded of a Space Shuttle engineer who, in an interview, said that for things to go right, 10,000 things have to work perfectly...and only one of those things needs to go awry for things to go badly wrong.

Look at the disease threads here... there are nearly no hybrids but tons of disease. I don't see why a few hybrids in your care with disease should be made out to be this huge worldwide issue with hybrids???

Look at the disease threads here... there are nearly no hybrids but tons of disease. I don't see why a few hybrids in your care with disease should be made out to be this huge worldwide issue with hybrids???
Maybe because I have kept fish for 30 years and haven't seen anything like this. The fish I sent pictures of above has colunaris/hole in the head. It didn't respond to any medication. Gram negative and anything. It didn't touch it. I k ow it's a genetic issue. I wanted to see what people said. It was the only fish affected. My tanks are clean. And I use purigen. I only use activated Carbon to rid meds. And I only use hospital tanks. So your bullsnip with not hybrids well I can tell you it is hybrids. NO OTHER FISH ARE AFFECTED. GOT ANYTHING ELSE ?
Hole in the head disease is caused by a dirty tank, dirty gravel, dirty filter and lack of water changes.

A lot of hybrid fishes are inbred and this makes them weaker than normal fish. A classic example is the weird cichlid (flowerhorn) made in China that they keep inbreeding to get a bigger and bigger lump on the head. It just makes the fish weaker.

If you want good strong healthy fish, get parents that are good quality and unrelated and you will get better young.
Read below and learn . I'll give you this I should have told ya more but no I don't have a dirty tank. Ya dummy.

My tank isn't dirty genius. It's genetic.

Maybe because I have kept fish for 30 years and haven't seen anything like this. The fish I sent pictures of above has colunaris/hole in the head. It didn't respond to any medication. Gram negative and anything. It didn't touch it. I k ow it's a genetic issue. I wanted to see what people said. It was the only fish affected. My tanks are clean. And I use purigen. I only use activated Carbon to rid meds. And I only use hospital tanks. So your bullsnip with not hybrids well I can tell you it is hybrids. NO OTHER FISH ARE AFFECTED. GOT ANYTHING ELSE ?

Read below and learn . I'll give you this I should have told ya more but no I don't have a dirty tank. Ya dummy.

My tank isn't dirty genius. It's genetic.
These dorks who think they know what's going on... ohh you got a dirty tank. No your just stupid.

You do not have any facts either. Just your theories. I have reported your posts and will not be replying to you any longer.

Good report me I'm a veteran. Your still an idiot .people who report are trolls we don't need you here. You literally told me hybrids aren't a problem when I proved you wrong. You sir are a idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back