Disease identification and treatment

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ianto30

Reaction score
Can someone help identify what disease a couple of my fish have as I'm getting lots of conflicting things when googling!

Background: Tank is about 3 months old, 8 neon tetras and they broke out in Ich a couple of days after I got them 3 weeks ago. Tank is fully cycled and aquascaped. Because of the current Coronavirus situation, I had to wait a couple of days before the meds (Waterlife White Spot & Fungus) arrived but while I was waiting for this, I noticed a couple of the tetras developed a larger white 'spot' on their upper lip. Researched and found it could be fungal so used the waterlife and thought it may kill two birds with one stone. Ich disappeared within 48h but continued the treatment for the full course. Now, there are only two of the tetras with this white spot on their lip. (See photos, sorry about quality, they move too quickly hah)

I'm sure it used to look fuzzy however, it now looks more like a spot, hard and formed but I'm doubting myself what it used to look like -_- Colour is good, all tank levels are good and they are eating/behaving normally.

What should I treat with? I have no quarantine tank at present unfortunately so meds must be plant/FB safe. No other fish currently in there - will be eventually but waiting to make sure these lot are healthy!

TIA

Attachments

• fish1.png
    fish1.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 116
  • image0.png
    image0.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 97
  • image1 (1).png
    image1 (1).png
    88.7 KB · Views: 97
Need bigger pictures that clearly show the white bit but it could be just a fat lip from swimming into the glass.

If you have to treat whitespot, just raise the water temperature to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks. The heat kills the whitespot parasites and you don't need to use chemicals.

The following link has information about whitespot and offers various ways to treat it with and without chemicals.

@Deanasue and I had a disease on our neons with a solid white/gray growth on their mouths. Neons are so inbred that they are prone to disease and genetic problems

These are being reported constantly these days. You can Google forever and never find an answer. No one seems to know. Many believe it’s just poor genetics. The fish will live and be fine. :)

If it stops being able to eat though you should euthanize it:(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back