Discussion about bettas and tank mates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hello. I know most of is here (including me) believe male bettas do best in their own tanks. They aren’t meant to be with other fish. They can be aggressive, and more likely to be picked on because of their gorgeous flowing or colorful fins.

Do you think this applies to female bettas? Do you think female bettas do alright with, say for example, neon tetras or Cories? I am just wanting to hear everyone’s thoughts and have a discussion about why or why not. Of course there is always the ”it depends on the individual”, but of course there are some male bettas who do great with other fish and others who don’t, but there’s still the “they do best without other fish”. Is it the same for female bettas?

Hello. I know most of is here (including me) believe male bettas do best in their own tanks. They aren’t meant to be with other fish. They can be aggressive, and more likely to be picked on because of their gorgeous flowing or colorful fins.

Do you think this applies to female bettas? Do you think female bettas do alright with, say for example, neon tetras or Cories? I am just wanting to hear everyone’s thoughts and have a discussion about why or why not. Of course there is always the ”it depends on the individual”, but of course there are some male bettas who do great with other fish and others who don’t, but there’s still the “they do best without other fish”. Is it the same for female bettas?
I would say, just like with male bettas, it depends on the betta and the tetras. Some neon tetras are SUPER aggressive, whilst others are docile. My neon tetras are super nice and get along great with the rasboras.

Some female bettas are also docile, whilst others are crazy aggressive.

As far as corydoras and female bettas go, I would say that’s ok, because most corys are chill. They are also bottom dwellers, so the betta has much less contact with them. Tetras/rasboras swim in middle/top, which is where bettas swim as well.

Generally, put two males in the one tank and they will fight and one will likely be killed. Both fish will receive injuries.
The male Betta was named the Siamese Fighting Fish for a reason and it wasn't because they practised macramé.
The male Betta will also respond to any other fish that resembles another male Betta, no matter how thin the resemblance. It could be fins, the colour, the size or even the way another fish moves in a particular moment.

Now consider the female of the species, who has to be robust enough to survive any encounter with a male. She's unlikely to be a jessy pastry! Whilst one female Betta isn't going to switch on to Kill-Maim-Disfigure mode, at the sight of another female, she will possess that certain degree of robustness and may, just may, get bolshy with another female...or she may not.
From this, it has been acknowledged that it is relatively safe to keep a group of female Betta together, especially when compared, say, to a group of males.
In reaction to other fish, whilst the female is unlikely to destroy another fish that may somehow resemble an 'interested' male Betta, there is still that potential that she has, deep within her psyche, to unleash at a moments notice.

Contrary to many reports and opinions, you can keep other fish, either with a single male, or even a small group of females. Note, however, that much advice will advise against this, because there is a risk of conflict and aggression and do you really want to run that risk in your tank?
There's also the oft-forgotten aspect that some fish can actually be harmful to the poor Betta...especially those that will nibble at the Betta fins.
That said, here's a list of potential tank mates.

Bristlenose plec.
Cardinal Tetra
Corydoras catfish.
Ember Tetra
Harlequin Rasbora
Kuhli Loach
Neon Tetra
Otocinclus
Rummynose Tetra
Snails

NOTE that the tetra must be in a group. If there are only a few, then those individuals can be singled out and harassed by the Betta.
NOTE For obvious reasons, (hopefully), avoid fish that are the same colour as the Betta.
NOTE that the tank has to be at least 5 gallons. At least.
NOTE that if your tank is well planted, then you break up the line of sight between fish and so reduce the chances of any aggression.
NOTE also that some will tell true tales of how their Betta killed their Neon Tetra. As I implied previously, there is nearly always the potential for a Betta to attack another fish.

NOTE that the tank has to be at least 5 gallons. At least.

This is not sufficient space for any of the fish listed, except a solitary betta.

NOTE that if your tank is well planted, then you break up the line of sight between fish and so reduce the chances of any aggression.

This is something of a fallacy in thinking. I see it often with cichlids. You cannot stop the fish communicating through pheromones and allomones, so the betta is still being "aggressive" and this is stressing the other fish, or the other fish are being aggressive and this is stressing the betta--in either case even with no physical contact.

Most of the members who ask about bettas in with other fish have relatively small tanks, and likely only one tank. It is simply irresponsible to even suggest they risk something that is in the majority of cases not going to work. The fish are the losers. None of us should want that, so the advice to be honest and accurate is, male bettas are always solitary fish.

I'm talking males above, in direct response to the preceding post. The OP's question was concerning females, and I will leave that for those with more knowledge/experience.

This is not sufficient space for any of the fish listed, except a solitary betta.
Oh, I'm sorry...I was answering the OP's original question, posted at the top of the page. I obviously missed the references to tank size.
This is something of a fallacy in thinking. I see it often with cichlids. You cannot stop the fish communicating through pheromones and allomones, so the betta is still being "aggressive" and this is stressing the other fish, or the other fish are being aggressive and this is stressing the betta--in either case even with no physical contact.
You're wrong dismissing line of sight as a means of communication. As a qualified biologist, I am well aware of pheromones and allomones. Any biochemical communication is a constant stream of information and fish are accustomed to this. Aggression usually flares up to a more serious level when that communication is backed up with visual contact.
Most of the members who ask about bettas in with other fish have relatively small tanks, and likely only one tank. It is simply irresponsible to even suggest they risk something that is in the majority of cases not going to work. The fish are the losers. None of us should want that, so the advice to be honest and accurate is, male bettas are always solitary fish.
Again, I was responding to the OP post and challenging the myth that Betta always need to be on their own. It may certainly be safer and less risky for them to be on their own, but to simply state that they should never share a tank with another fish is wrong.
Following most of your arguments, we shouldn't be keeping fish at all.
I'm talking males above, in direct response to the preceding post. The OP's question was concerning females, and I will leave that for those with more knowledge/experience.
Oh, I'm sorry...I was answering the OP's original question, posted at the top of the page. Discussing the male was putting into context the discussion about the female. People need to understand why males are risky when placed with other fish and why some fishkeepers seem to manage well enough and also why females are not totally safe.

I'm content with following the info provided by these guys;
Aquarium CoOp
KGTropicals
Prime Time Aquatics
Rachel O'Leary

This is a forum which has a number of first-time hobbyists, and in most (perhaps even all) cases they have one tank. Even suggesting that they can acquire a fish that is known to be a serious problem the majority of the time is just not responsible. If these individuals want to follow the ill-advised thinking that it is OK to "experiment" with fish as opposed to understanding and accepting the facts, so be it, but they should wait until they have more experience and more tanks so they can be prepared to deal with the probable consequences. I am not going to knowingly misadvise members asking questions, that is not helping anyone but my ego, and that is not why I am here.

If any one of those links advises keeping male bettas in with other fish, they are wrong. Period.

This is a forum which has a number of first-time hobbyists, and in most (perhaps even all) cases they have one tank. Even suggesting that they can acquire a fish that is known to be a serious problem the majority of the time is just not responsible. If these individuals want to follow the ill-advised thinking that it is OK to "experiment" with fish as opposed to understanding and accepting the facts, so be it, but they should wait until they have more experience and more tanks so they can be prepared to deal with the probable consequences. I am not going to knowingly misadvise members asking questions, that is not helping anyone but my ego, and that is not why I am here.

If any one of those links advises keeping male bettas in with other fish, they are wrong. Period.
I refuse to keep quiet about facts, options, risks and non-risks, just on the off-chance that another child or someone who cannot read sees the post.
The original post was not asking about the first time hobbyist. It was a reasonable question, wanting a discussion...and to hear the thoughts of others.
It is not your place to censor my responses to someone else's thread.

Of course, you must be very sure of yourself to blankly suggest that other skilled, qualified, experienced and apparently very successful aquarists are 'wrong, period'. Now THAT sounds like ego and is unnecessary.

You do seem to misread posts a bit. My view on this subject is based upon scientific evidence, which I have cited in more than one thread. It is not my opinion, but it is my reading of the evidence. Others are free to accept or reject the evidence.

As for the four individuals, I said they were wrong if they counter the evidence. And they are. Everyone is free to believe whom they like.

As an aside, how on earth can I censor your posts? I am not a moderator.

I have learnt over the years saying that anything is wrong about this hobby is a dangerous place to go. People don't tend to write things that are just plan wrong.

I know that when I have bred Bettas I always separated the males into the Betta Hotel, and left all the females together. I never had problems with the female Bettas and other fish. I will rephrase that I never had anymore problems with female Bettas.

Yes they do fine with both. A 35-55 gallon Tank would be appropriate and plenty of hiding spaces. Odd Number Groups of females 5 or more all babies added in at the same time will work the easiest with Never 👎 adding another one later down the road is best.

You know what happend to my guppy, right?

Most reactions

trending

Back