Discus with frontosas?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Bladehunter

Reaction score
Iā€™m not new keeping fish, but I do have a question
I have a 200 gallon tank with 8 large discus,
And I have a smaller tank with 8 2/3ā€ frontosas
They both live in same water straight from the tap same heat... all my fish are the same on everything
I know frontosas are not agressive and are quite timid
Would they be able to go in with the discus being that they are smaller and same water chemistry

thanks

They really shouldnā€™t be kept in the same water frontossa need hard water and discuss need soft water. Discuss also need much warmer water. Keeping them like this will drastically shorten their life span so I would suggest trying to gradually adjust the water in their tanks to suit each species

All my fish are kept in my tap water ph of 7.8
Discus and frontosas are bred in local waters

should never chase ph to suit a fish needs stable parameters are better then chasing parameters

as if I used my ph to 7.0 using my RO system for the discus by the afternoon the water will be 7.8 which will have an impact on the fish for the ph swinging
All the years Iā€™ve never changed ph.
Stable is better then chasing ph

also these discus are captive bred in 8.0 water from Simon hall

was seeing if anyone had success with the two together

they both eat the same food ( I do my own home made food )

frontossa need hard water and discuss need soft water.
It's GH not pH that needs to be different. Hard water/high GH has a lot of calcium in the water which frontosa's need. Soft water/low GH has little calcium which is what discus need.

The old boy along the street told me a few months back that during his MTS days heā€™d kept both discus and frontosa at separate times when I mentioned red n white frontosa (itā€™s a football thing).
Frontosas being far more succesfull he thinks due to our water hardness 19dh and alkalinity of 8Ph. Though like most back then he says he considered ph to be hardness and not different things.
I looked on seriouslyfish.com for discus dh and ph requirements just for curiosity and there were no figures given and hadnā€™t been since 2012. Still arenā€™t.
The old boy gave em both up eventually as tank sizes and positioning for full grown arenā€™t viable in our houses. Windows, chimneys and TV placing s mean they still arenā€™t possible.

Last edited:
Discus are like white shoes to me sounds crazy but they look awesome and stand out like a sore thumb but once you have them thatā€™s it your so limited to whatā€™s next iv even heard stories of not keeping Asian with South Americanā€™s because of differnt slim coatings and that well beyond me , someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong but there are South American river systems tht have a high Gh ??

If there are I've not come across them - but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Central American rivers have hard water, I think.

The reason Asian or African fish shouldn't be mixed with American fish is that they've been separated for so long that they don't understand each other's signals. One fish may be secreting 'keep away, this territory is mine' signals but the other fish doesn't know what the signals mean and invades that territory provoking the first fish into aggression.

Discus are like white shoes to me sounds crazy but they look awesome and stand out like a sore thumb but once you have them thatā€™s it your so limited to whatā€™s next iv even heard stories of not keeping Asian with South Americanā€™s because of differnt slim coatings and that well beyond me , someone correct me if Iā€™m wrong but there are South American river systems tht have a high Gh ??
All fish have a thin layer of mucous over their bodies and fins. It helps protect them from disease organisms, poor water quality, chemicals, and it helps them move through the water easier. It doesn't matter where the fish come from, they all have this mucous layer (slime coating).

---------------------
The upper reaches of most rivers usually has softer water than the lower reaches. This is due to the rainwater having zero hardness and as it flows downstream, it picks up minerals and the hardness increases.

In South America the lower reaches by the coast have harder water but the upper reaches are generally soft water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back