Discus tankmates

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

botia

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
For my 110gal planted discus tank i am looking for some tankmates. I had neon tetras as my dither but i am moving them to a cooler tank as they didnt like the heat. What dither could i have instead? Thinking maybe cardinal or rummy nose tetras? also would a school of sterbai corys be suited to the warmer temp (80-82F)

For my 110gal planted discus tank i am looking for some tankmates. I had neon tetras as my dither but i am moving them to a cooler tank as they didnt like the heat. What dither could i have instead? Thinking maybe cardinal or rummy nose tetras? also would a school of sterbai corys be suited to the warmer temp (80-82F)

The cardinals and rummynose tetras are good ideas. Instead of the cardinals, how about the closely related false or green neon, Parachierodon simulans? This species prefers it even warmer than cardinals.

The cories are a bit problematical. I know we frequently read of Corydoras sterbai managing with warmer temperatures and this being suggested for discus tanks, but this may not be the best. Over on Corydoras World it was mentioned that no cory is really suited to such warm temperatures. Ian Fuller runs that site, and he certainly knows more about Corydoras than I do.

The cardinals and rummynose tetras are good ideas. Instead of the cardinals, how about the closely related false or green neon, Parachierodon simulans? This species prefers it even warmer than cardinals.

The cories are a bit problematical. I know we frequently read of Corydoras sterbai managing with warmer temperatures and this being suggested for discus tanks, but this may not be the best. Over on Corydoras World it was mentioned that no cory is really suited to such warm temperatures. Ian Fuller runs that site, and he certainly knows more about Corydoras than I do.
Thank you for your input, I’ll go have another read up about corys! Any suggestions for a bottom dweller? Not necessarily as a clean up fish because I’m not a fan of buying fish for job, but just something to occupy the lower levels

How about YoYo Loaches? Or Zebra Loaches? They both fit in that 80-82 degree range. :)

Thank you for your input, I’ll go have another read up about corys! Any suggestions for a bottom dweller? Not necessarily as a clean up fish because I’m not a fan of buying fish for job, but just something to occupy the lower levels

Substrate fish are not easy, given the temperature issue and also the sedate nature of discus that will be upset with any even moderately active fish especially nocturnally. I didn't mean to exclude the cories so fast, I just thought it advisable to mention the concerns some have with warmer temperatures. I don't know where you thought of keeping the temp for the discus though 80F is as low as you should go and the sterbai might be OK with that. It was temperatures up around 85-86F that would be very difficult.

No fish will do substrate clean-up, this is best handled by snails and perhaps shrimp (latter depending upon parameters).

Substrate fish are not easy, given the temperature issue and also the sedate nature of discus that will be upset with any even moderately active fish especially nocturnally. I didn't mean to exclude the cories so fast, I just thought it advisable to mention the concerns some have with warmer temperatures. I don't know where you thought of keeping the temp for the discus though 80F is as low as you should go and the sterbai might be OK with that. It was temperatures up around 85-86F that would be very difficult.

No fish will do substrate clean-up, this is best handled by snails and perhaps shrimp (latter depending upon parameters).
yeah im keeping the tank at about 80-82. I could get a school of sterbais and see how they go. if they begin to look uncomfortable i can move them to my other 300L tank :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back