Discus Tankmates

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

electropunk06

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi im getting a new tank this week and am still not sure what fish to get im torn between tanganyika set up and discus :S
Would a severum be a suitable tankmate?
My tank water has a low ish ph 6.8 is there another parameters that need to be good to keep discus?
Thanks
Lloyd

that ph is fine for discus , the only other thing it weeds to be is very clean. what size tank are you getting?

perfect for a group of discus. i would advise against a severum as a tankmate tho , discus will fare better kept with fish that are not going to be so quick and greedy at feeding time , and most cichlids will outcompete the discus for food. . classic discus tankmates are things like cardinal tetras , rummynose tetras , sterbai corys . rams work well too.

Thanks
some of my 90L fish will be moving in with them if id do get them
Thanks
Lloyd

thanks they wernt going in only the south american fish asian fish/shrimp staying in the 90L.
but if the shrimp get eaten will my fish that are smaller than them also get eaten?
Thanks
Lloyd

looking at yourr 90 litre stocking id say the biggest problem youre going to have is temperature requirements. i dont think any of those fish will fare well at discus temps

looking at yourr 90 litre stocking id say the biggest problem youre going to have is temperature requirements. i dont think any of those fish will fare well at discus temps
oh right thought the neons and apisto would be ok at that, its maybe a little high for the corys.
so do you think is best not to add them to the tank?
Thanks
Lloyd

oh right thought the neons and apisto would be ok at that, its maybe a little high for the corys.
so do you think is best not to add them to the tank?
Thanks
Lloyd

The corys prefer lower temps about 22-25c is best so the 28c+ would be to high for them. Is there a reason you need to move the other fish? In the 90l i dont see why all the fish would be happy at around 24c. Then you could set the new tank up for a group of Discus, a shoal or Cardinals or Rummynose tetra, a shoal of Sterba Corys and a few pairs of Rams

C. sterbai are a cory that tolerates warmer water temperatures, up to about 82 F. They can be kept in a discus tank.

CSterbai2.jpg

They look really nice. is there any other fish that make good/interesting/unusual tank mates for them?
what substrate should be used in a discus tank (something to reduce ph maybe)?
Thanks for the help
Lloyd

They look really nice. is there any other fish that make good/interesting/unusual tank mates for them?
what substrate should be used in a discus tank (something to reduce ph maybe)?
Thanks for the help
Lloyd
Cadinal tetras, Rummy nose tetra, Electric blue/Gold/Blue rams will all work aswell as the corys.
If you want the corys sand would be best. Other than peat im not sure there is any substrate that could lower the PH but i think sand would look alot better.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back