Discus Tank Setup - New To The Forum

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

devils17

Reaction score
Hi everyone

im new to this forum so just wanted to say hello and get straight in with a question

Ive been keeping fish for around 8 months and have loved every minute. Have learned a bit from a few mistakes and have had many different types of tropical fish so far but i am wanting to try out discus

The problem i have is that i think my tank may be to small but i will let everyone give there opinion over

so here is the set-up

juwel Lido 120 (Planted and bogwood currently with a bit of slate but this will be removed)
internal bio filter
externel aqua one aquis 1250

i was told between 8 and 10 gallons for each fully grown discus but since my tank is aprox 26 gallons that leaves about 3 fish

is this correct?

thanks in advance

bit small really but perfect for a discus pair,
when keeping in groups shold be 5 plus imo

Its too small. Get yourself a 4 foot 200 L+ tank, fill it with 6-8 good quality discus and go from there. Discus do much better(and look stunning) in groups.

As others said, 10 gallons per Discus, but a minimum group of 5 Discus. Leaves you with a minimum tank size of 50 or 55 gallons. If you can get your hands on a bonded breeding pair (pretty pricey) then that would be suitable for your tank.

thanks guys

Ive been into a few fish shops and have seen discus on there own or in pairs in some tanks and i have questioned the sellers and they have told me that alot that is said about discus is a myth,

has anyone tryed discus in smaller tanks before?

thanks guys

Ive been into a few fish shops and have seen discus on there own or in pairs in some tanks and i have questioned the sellers and they have told me that alot that is said about discus is a myth,

They tell you what you want to hear m8, they want to make a sale... ive tried discus (2 of) and all they did was fight... day and night and becasue the tank was to small i couldnt add anymore so had no choice but to sell them, always take your advice off the many expert discus keepers here m8, they have nothink to gain other than the welfare of the fish ;).

jen

thanks guys

Many people have and failed. You end up with non stop fighting from small stunted fish that get sick and die. A lot of people grow their Juvy fish in a 30 gallon, but after 3-3.5 inches they need to be moved to at least a 55 gallon, depending on the amount of fish. Juvy fish will need to be grown in a bare bottom tank (no gravel.) For best results water changes daily (30-100%) and feedings 4-8 times a day.

What the guys are saying is right. The discus do need more space as if you get conditions right they grow huge. Its worth the extra money though as the fish are lovely. If its your first time keeping discus i wouldnt advise buying a breeding pair tbh. They are very pricey and you may end up losing them if you make a mistake. If i was starting again i would look to buy 4 or 5 4inch fish that were around £15 each. This way you can use them to understand how discus work then you can sell them on to somebody else when you are comfortable with keeping them and move on to the more expensive fish. I made a couple of mistakes at the start with expensive discus and ended up killing them. £150 downt the drain.

Im sure you will get it right and will enjoy keeping them. They are not as hard as everybody makes out once you have your water change routine sorted out.

Goodluck

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back