Discus Rediscovered

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The secret is to buy young fish off a private breeder. These guys were $30 each.
What? Did you pick up or were they shipped? I mean, I would be willing to drive a good distance to be able to get discus that weren't $150-300 a fish.

So, the fish were $30 each and the freight was $55. They came overnight from the other end of the South Island.
That still is not too bad a price. I was wondering how they would do being shipped. I have never had trouble with Cichlids being shipped overnight. However, I have had a few DOA's with tetras and shrimp over the years. I will have to look into this a bit more and see what I can find as far as Discus Breeders.

That still is not too bad a price. I was wondering how they would do being shipped. I have never had trouble with Cichlids being shipped overnight. However, I have had a few DOA's with tetras and shrimp over the years. I will have to look into this a bit more and see what I can find as far as Discus Breeders.
The smaller the fish the better they ship. You must also trust the person you are getting the fish from. There must be an understanding that the fish will be in perfect condition when they leave them.

They are lovely 😍 bet you are really pleased with them.

How are the whiptails and black phantoms doing? Any spawnings?
They are doing really well. The Phantoms keep spawning and I have about six youngsters. The Whiptails are flirting with one another so I'm hopeful that they will get together.

DSCN1380.JPG

Today I decided I needed to remove a large piece of driftwood and relocate the crypts. Thinking that this would really annoy the Discus I was cautious. No need to be, within an hour they were back looking for food and acting like nothing had happened. It amazes me how intelligent these fish are.
20220509_194427.jpg

20220509_193233.jpg

You have them eating out of your hand...and they have you wrapped around their little fins ;)

They are adoreable little hooligans...... :)

You have them eating out of your hand...and they have you wrapped around their little fins ;)

They are adoreable little hooligans...... :)
This group of Discus is the best I have ever had. The breeder made sure that he fed them by hand early on, now they just except humans as their provider of food. It is incredible and I'm incredibly lucky.

These guys are waiting for me when I sit down for Breakfast, and then about 5 pm they start pacing the tank waiting for us to sit down for dinner. They are amazing.

These guys are waiting for me when I sit down for Breakfast, and then about 5 pm they start pacing the tank waiting for us to sit down for dinner. They are amazing.
I get that from my hooligans in the morning too....lights on and there they are under the hatch, acting like they have not been fed in months....its a case of "hold your horses" from me whilst I go get their food sorted, I can hear them splashing about with impatience.....they are worse than toddlers when it comes to feeding time (and worse than teenagers where keeping the decor tidy)....but you can't help but love them..... ;)

I get that from my hooligans in the morning too....lights on and there they are under the hatch, acting like they have not been fed in months....its a case of "hold your horses" from me whilst I go get their food sorted, I can hear them splashing about with impatience.....they are worse than toddlers when it comes to feeding time (and worse than teenagers where keeping the decor tidy)....but you can't help but love them..... ;)
Exactly, in the morning I always pour my first Coffee before feeding them. I'm the Boss and they know it. 🤣

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back