Discus Rediscovered

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

itiwhetu

Naturally First
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Yesterday I received my 5 New Discus, these fish have come from the other side of the South Island overnight to me.

I thought it would be nice to have a journal for them

I paid $30 each for them plus $55 frieght

They are Turquoise Discus hatched November 2021 and are around 3 inches long

Last edited:
First photo (rubbish). There is always lots of reflection with a naturally lit tank. But these guys are feeding out of my hand.
20220406_083739.jpg

Discus are beautiful fish, good luck with them. I always felt that they were a bit beyond my skill, consistency level. I also have typically only seen Discus in bare tanks which don't appeal to me. I see yours are in a planted tank which makes them even more appealing. You mention naturally lighted tank, what aspect is your tank at and approximately how much sunlight does it receive.

Discus are beautiful fish, good luck with them. I always felt that they were a bit beyond my skill, consistency level. I also have typically only seen Discus in bare tanks which don't appeal to me. I see yours are in a planted tank which makes them even more appealing. You mention naturally lighted tank, what aspect is your tank at and approximately how much sunlight does it receive.
They are in my 150 g. which is featured in this thread

Do the ones from the south island taste the same as the ones from the north island?
The South Island ones are always healthy, the water is way better in the south. The breeders are also breeding Discus just for the locals, in the North Island the breeders are trying to make money. Two different philosophies.

Discus are just… incredible. I’m so jealous! They are gorgeous Itiwhetu😍😍 I love that they eat from your hand. I know many larger cichlids have more pronounced “personalities”,do you expect to see this with these guys?

Discus are just… incredible. I’m so jealous! They are gorgeous Itiwhetu😍😍 I love that they eat from your hand. I know many larger cichlids have more pronounced “personalities”,do you expect to see this with these guys?
These guys will each have their own way of doing things. I already have two at one end of the tank mouth wrestling and keeping the other three at bay. One of the small ones likes to stand on its tail and eat flake food from the surface of the tank. Time will tell what they will get upto.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back