Discus recommended pH kH gH levels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ok so gH test was done

I used my API gH test kit and got orange color test water at drop 2 and green was around drop 4-5 if I do count my first drop witch only gives me a light yellow color I get a total of 4-5 drops so my dgH is 4 or 5 and my ppm is between 50-100ppm (3-6dgH) range on the chart from tap and aquarium

I would go with this water and not start fussing with adjusting it. The pH lowering to 7 in your tank suggests there is little buffering, and your GH and KH numbers back this up. So in the tank as the biological system is settling, the pH is likely to lower below 7 and this is ideal. You really have no worries.

I agree with seangee on the acclimation, but would just add that temperature should be equaled so float the bag of fish in the tank to equalize the temperature (this usually takes 15-20 minutes or less, depending). The net the fish out. Do not pour the bag water into the tank. A temperature change that is sudden can seriously stress fish, but allowing it to equalize by floating solves this. I use my fingertips to test the temp.

I agree. Your tap water is fine for Discus and in the long term that is the best solution. Forgot to mention, yes I do float the bags in the tank for 15 minutes as Byron says.

Not sure where in the world you are but it may be worth a check on the nitrate level in your tap water. Usually it should be at or close to 0 but where I am its 50ppm which is way to high.

I agree. Your tap water is fine for Discus and in the long term that is the best solution. Forgot to mention, yes I do float the bags in the tank for 15 minutes as Byron says.

Not sure where in the world you are but it may be worth a check on the nitrate level in your tap water. Usually it should be at or close to 0 but where I am its 50ppm which is way to high.

Thanks your your response guys,

Yes absolutely, I have buffed the aquarium pH initially for the introduction of the discus to 7.0 using seachem acid and alkaline buffers to drop the pH an stabilize the kH, once the discus are in the aquarium and are happy I will start small water changes to start settling the pH to my tap 7.6 over a week or 2

My tap nitrates are low at the tap 0-10ppm range without using a digital meter (witch I wish I had) but using my API test kit for nitrates I haven’t seen anything over 10-15ppm nitrates and I have left the aquarium for 4 straight weeks before feeding 3 times a day (30 tetras 6 catfish) so my biological system seems very strong, I did an 80% water change over the weekend removed all my drift wood an gave the gravel a really good clean to try remove a lot of excess floating particles in the water column witch it made a big difference to the water clarity and we are now 4 days on and nitrates still at 0ppm witch is great just a build up of pleco poop on the gravel.

I bought a 240L wheelie bin from bunnings and I got a pond pump with great head pressure witch I use to mature the new water and pump back into the tank, it worked really well and was a rather quick process.

Im from Perth WA Australia

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back