Discus or Cichlid Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

AquariuMan

Reaction score
I am wanting to set up a dedicated tank for Discus or assorted cichlids and would like to get some feedback on which route to go. Any recommendations on size tank, favorite species, doā€™s & donā€™ts would be appreciated!

2 good options however it really depends to which species youā€™d prefer. Do you like a lot of activity and colours or do you prefer looking at a more calm environment depending on which you prefer to keep then giving advice on tank size and equipment and stocking will be easier.

Cichlids is certainly a vague term with thousands of different fish of various sizes, aggression levels, diet, and water requirements. You can do dwarf cichlids in a 20 gallon. And others need a 125 or more for one fish.

Discuss is pretty much expert level being some of the hardest fish to care for. The absolutely need very soft water or they will not last long.

I've kept many cichlids from all over the world, so my vote always goes to cichlids of one type or another.

Get the largest tank you can fit and budget for and then decide what you want to do. The larger the tank, the more options you have.

Minimum size tank for a pr of discus is 4 foot long x 2 foot wide x 2 foot high.

If you want small peaceful cichlids like Apistogramma species, then a tank that is 2 foot long x 1ft wide x 1ft high is fine.

If you want African Rift Lake cichlids then a tank that is 4ft long x 18-24 inches wide x 18-24 inches high or bigger, is fine.

Some of the Central American cichlids need 6 foot tanks because the fish can reach 12 inches or more in length.

Your best bet is to visit a few pet shops and look at what cichlids are available and make a list of what you like. You can also check books at the library or go online and look up cichlids. Post your list of fish here and we can advise you further.

very good advice given above. I have an 240 litre fluval roma african cichlid tank. I also have an south american cichlid tank. Out of the 2 i prefer the African cichlid tank. Its just something about those mbunas i really love. The colours the personality and its always exciting to watch. Be prepared for aggression though.

very good advice given above. I have an 240 litre fluval roma african cichlid tank. I also have an south american cichlid tank. Out of the 2 i prefer the African cichlid tank. Its just something about those mbunas i really love. The colours the personality and its always exciting to watch. Be prepared for aggression though.
I've had basic community tanks over the years but am looking at starting up a cichlid tank, and have been looking at the 240 fluval.

I've no idea where to start with cichlids so will do some reading but generally are the Africans more colourful?

The sticky thread on this forum doesn't seem to work any longer on setting up etc.

I concur with the above. Cichlids are more hardy than Discus. Discus are one of the hardest freshwater fish to keep, because they are so delicate.

I've no idea where to start with cichlids so will do some reading but generally are the Africans more colourful?
Really depends on the variation of the Cichlids. Each one is unique.

I am wanting to set up a dedicated tank for Discus or assorted cichlids and would like to get some feedback on which route to go. Any recommendations on size tank, favorite species, doā€™s & donā€™ts would be appreciated!
Both are cichlids. Both need a big tank. Both have their peculiarities for care. If you also like both similarly, then my first question to you would be "what's your water like?" If it is very soft and you go the African Rift route, you'll be adding salts all the time. If it is very hard, then you are filling up a big tank with loads of RO water, which pretty well means you need to keep and maintain an RO system in the house. My point is just that if you like both discus and African Rift cichlids, then going the route of matching the fish to your water conditions will dramatically cut down on workload - maybe letting you sit back and enjoy them more. Either way, it sounds like it'll be fun!

I've had basic community tanks over the years but am looking at starting up a cichlid tank, and have been looking at the 240 fluval.

The sticky thread on this forum doesn't seem to work any longer on setting up etc.

Yes the fluval roma is pretty good. I have had it for just over an year. It comes with everything including the 407 canister filter.

You have to read up and watch lots of videos. To me African cichlids are more colourful. This is just an personal opinion. There are some beautiful American cichlids also. Just go to a good fish store look around to see what you prefer and pick out couple of fishes you really like and work your tank around it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back