Discus Not Breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mark2109111

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have had my 2 discus (blue cobalt, red Marlboro) for a little over a year now. The spawned three time in my 28 gallon (i know to small but it was only for a month) but now that i have moved them into my planted 55 they have stopped spawning. They go up to the breeding site (pvc on a slight angle leaning up agents the side of the tank) every day and bite and clean it off, they also do their twittchy mateing dance. But no eggs. Why wont thy continue and actually breed ? The water has 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, a ph of 5.8 and a kh of 1 degree. I am wondering if they do not feel safe for some reason. In the tank i have 6x rummy noses, 6x cardinals, and 4x peacock gobies. Most of these inhabitants (all but cardinal) were not in the old 28 gallon. The tank has been up and running for almost 3 months and i just want my discus to breed. Should i put them back in the 28 to breed ? or should i just stop worrying ? Any help is greatly appreciated :thanks:

could it be they are spawning at night (or early morning) but by the time you get up the eggs have been eaten by the other fish?

Maybe they just need a bit longer to get used to feeling safe in their new home? :unsure:

I notice you don`t have a reading for ammonia?? You say 0 nitrates? Strange as normally there`s usually some reading for nitrates, are you using RO water? :/

Maybe they just need a bit longer to get used to feeling safe in their new home? :unsure:

I notice you don`t have a reading for ammonia?? You say 0 nitrates? Strange as normally there`s usually some reading for nitrates, are you using RO water? :/

There is actually no nitrate, I know it sounds weird but no i am not using RO water. I actually use spring water but i plan on getting an RO unit this week. And i dont think that they are eating the eggs at night or even at all. I was wondering if maybe their is too much camotion in the tank with all the tetras. :rolleyes: Thanks for the quick reply O and one more note there is no ammonia either i forgot to do that test.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back