Discus Issues...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

rabbut

I don't bite, all that often...
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have lost two Discus over the course of the last week. One died with worms protruding from the anus, about seven days ago. I treated for five days with food medicated with Levanisole (Via Befear Reptile Wormer). After five days there was then Gill clamping on one or two fish and some excess slime, but no flicking/rubbing :unsure: I started a cource of Sterazin after a waterchange. These symptoms have cleared up after one dose of five, and water stats remain fine;

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 12.5ppm
pH 7.5
GH 9dKH
O2 5mg/l

Today, I have lost another. It appeared to be organ failure. The abdomen was swolen out and filled with clear fluid. The scales were not raised, despite a large amount of swelling, so I don't think it's dropsey. Also, IME Dropsey produces a cloudy fluid in the abdomen area...

There is currently a course of Sterazin in progress, as I suspect Flukes or Protozoan parasites on some fish and this med has cleared these issues up fine for me in the past. My Microscope has gone walkies however, so I cannot confirm this. I intend to go searching in the loft, where I have been told it's been put, ASAP, but first need a time where Ladders and the Landing are free to gain access up there...

Can anyone add some other possibilities to the fray? Surgested action from here?

I intend ATM to complete a course of Sterazin and am thinking today's death was organ failure and hence "natural caurses", but will change to other treatments/conclusions if someone can confirm another issue.

Thanks
Rabbut

Hi all,

I have lost two Discus over the course of the last week. One died with worms protruding from the anus, about seven days ago. I treated for five days with food medicated with Levanisole (Via Befear Reptile Wormer). After five days there was then Gill clamping on one or two fish and some excess slime, but no flicking/rubbing :unsure: I started a cource of Sterazin after a waterchange. These symptoms have cleared up after one dose of five, and water stats remain fine;

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 12.5ppm
pH 7.5
GH 9dKH
O2 5mg/l

Today, I have lost another. It appeared to be organ failure. The abdomen was swolen out and filled with clear fluid. The scales were not raised, despite a large amount of swelling, so I don't think it's dropsey. Also, IME Dropsey produces a cloudy fluid in the abdomen area...

There is currently a course of Sterazin in progress, as I suspect Flukes or Protozoan parasites on some fish and this med has cleared these issues up fine for me in the past. My Microscope has gone walkies however, so I cannot confirm this. I intend to go searching in the loft, where I have been told it's been put, ASAP, but first need a time where Ladders and the Landing are free to gain access up there...

Can anyone add some other possibilities to the fray? Surgested action from here?

I intend ATM to complete a course of Sterazin and am thinking today's death was organ failure and hence "natural caurses", but will change to other treatments/conclusions if someone can confirm another issue.

Thanks
Rabbut

Get some Flubenol perhaps - look on ebay for Wormer Plus... dose weekly for 5 weeks min.

or from this chap
http://www.plymouthdiscus.com/drdiscus.html

GL

Andy

Thanks for the reply

The Wormer Plus stuff is rubbish IME, but thanks for the tip, it's greatly appreciated :nod: I can get hold of propper Flubenol (no leagaly mind :shifty: ) if nessisarry, but am reluctant to do so, and won't be able to get my habds on it for a week at least...

All the best
Rabbut

^ Probably because it's only a 3rd the strengh of Flubenol-15... (PM on its way BTW)..

Andy

hi,i lost one of my discus today,the 2nd in a couple of weeks,iam on treating with (esha hexamita),its a complete treatment for flukes intestinal disorders,white stringy faeces.. might be worth a look and a read up on it,see if any of the symptoms are there what your fish are showing,hope its of some help.another site was helping me out with my problem.. good luck,,kenny

^^Just had a look on their site. There was no mention of their active ingrediants there, and I'm shure there were none listed on the bottle? Could you confirm? I always like to know whats going into my tank, as I want to "risk access" before dosing it into a tank containing £300 worth of fish to which I'm personally attached (Discus are like Dogs/Cats aren't they :rolleyes: So easy to get attached to...) The Esha 2000 was good though when I used that last, so I may well look into that med some more, but anything that treats Flukes will need to be listed on the bottle by law, as most Fluke treatments are toxic/highly corrosive/irritants/carconogenics (spelling).

Andy, got the PM and replied :good:

All the best
Rabbut

you right there i love these fish like my baby's,few quids worth in here too,anyway hexamita infection can go unnoticed if its internal it attacks the internal organs,and it leads to death,iam going to get the link that got posted to me,bare with me as i am not to good on a pc.i have all the instructions here in front of me,and if need be i will write them all down for you,i couldn't believe it when i read about this disease,its fatal,anyway i will go look for the link and post it on here for you to read,,kenny

Hex is common in Discus, but if it cropps up, it's down to stress/diet or arguably, running carbon (I'm scepticle on the latter and there is no hard evidence to support those claims). Poor diet, water quality or something else stressing them tends to be a common trigger. If you don't remove the trigger, it will just come back again after treatment. This is why many treatments "fail" to treat it... I have another reptile med ear-marked for Hex should I ever need it though, having had many good reviews of it's success through Disucs keepers that visuit work regularly and have used it on their Discus...

Could you please skim your instructions for a list of ingrediants and their quantities?

Thanks
Rabbut

http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/articles/hexamita.html
that's the link,like you say i cant find anything on the bottle or box or instructions,iam into one day with 2 days to go as its a three day course,i will let you know what happens pointless you putting your fish at risk,i have watched 2 of mine die in the last10 days or so and i was gutted,there's a pair in there with eggs they wont come to anything anyway,as they going into another tank when i get this disease cleared up, i put the first dose in today at 2 o'clock and i have just had a look they all fit as fire so nothing looking sick,good luck with yours i will let you know how mine get on,,kenny

hi,been right through the instructions box and bottle not one ingredient,,the two fish i lost i bough about a month ago funny they seem to be the only ones i lost,so whatever it was i think this batch brought it in. i bought 6 of them,they seemed fine but obviously they where carrying disease,i know there was nothing in my tanks as i change water every other day and test on alternative days,so maddening,but i hope to beat it,best of luck,hope you sort your fish out,,kenny

I would definitley think something fishy is going on internally with the fish, could the swelling be caused by an internal bacterial infection? Excess slime coat is also signs of internal parasites.

Internal parasites can do alot of damage to the internal ogans.
Most fish that are infested with internal parasites rarely make it.
You med the tank to save the rest.

hows your discus today rabbut? i just put the 2nd dose in a couple of hours ago,they all fine and looking well.. i wormed my tanks about 10 days ago with kusuri wormer plus and i think that knocked them back a bit ,hope you get yours sorted out,,kenny

Worming meds can knock fish and sometimes if makes then not want to eat for a few days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back