The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Tooombsy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys

Been a while since I was here.

Iā€™m moving from London back to Birmingham soon and my tank will be closed down for a couple of weeks.

A friend of mine is having my fish this weekend as he has a newly cycled tank awaiting stock, thought it would be nice for them to go somewhere I know theyā€™ll be looked after.

When I set my tank back up Iā€™m considering getting discus. My son came with me on my last visit to my LFS and he loved them, he didnā€™t want to leave.

Iā€™ve done a fair bit of reading up on care of these fish over the last 6 months but nobody really has a difinitive stocking guide, would it be possible to have 6 in a trigon 190?

Thanks for any replies

I would not advise discus in this situation. Mature size is around 6 inches length/height (15 cm) and a 4-foot (120 cm) length tank is generally advised.

Discus are shoaling fish, so a group of six would be a good number, but in larger quarters. Finding tankmates suited is not that easy (don't know if your present fish are gone for good or just temporary, but depending upon what they are there might be issues anyway).

Byron.

From what Iā€™ve read in most places the length of the tank isnā€™t as important as the depth with discus.

The tank is 2 ft deep and over 3ft wide at the front

The old tank mates will be gone for good and the setup will be dedicated for discus

Cheers, I got a bit of time to find some when I move. Thinking of getting all different colours because thatā€™s what I think facinates my son.

Not planning on breeding any so hopefully wonā€™t be a problem. Raising discus fry seems a lot of work

Maintaining discus in a healthy environment is a lot of work too. No mention has yet been made of source water parameters (GH, KH, pH).

And four discus is not adequate. This is a shoaling species, and that means maybe five but six or more. [Exception is a breeding pair.] This tank is not sufficient space. I will never advise "OK" when the fish are not going to be in the best environment, which involves tank size, numbers for shoaling species, parameters, and aquascape. These are only the basics.

Each species of freshwater fish has evolved over thousands of years to function properly in a very specific environment. These needs must be provided or the fish will not be in good health because the homeostasis is affected not to mention stress. And it is inhumane.

The water wonā€™t be a problem, I have an ro filter and booster pump and will be doing a 40% water change every 2-3 days.

The internal filter will be removed and minimal substrate so water volume wonā€™t be affected, planted at the back of the tank to help with waste, and then when they start to get bigger im thinking of upgrading to the trigon 350.

My 190 will then be changed to a community tank for cichlids. The mrs said no to the 350 but Iā€™m thinking itā€™s cus the flat we are in in London is quite small, when we move we will have plenty of space. Plus she will have fallen in love with the discus (who wouldnā€™t) and will be happy for them to be in a bigger home lol

Cheers, I got a bit of time to find some when I move. Thinking of getting all different colours because thatā€™s what I think facinates my son.

Not planning on breeding any so hopefully wonā€™t be a problem. Raising discus fry seems a lot of work

don't worry about breeding.....they are difficult to breed unless conditions are perfect.....and you are also very unlikely to get a breeding pair if your only buying 4 or 5.....so chances are they won't be breeding in your tank.....and even if they do they will probably eat the eggs anyway....

4 would be very happy in a tank like that.....but no more.....they like lots of plants and driftwood

The setup will be similar to my profile pic just with less substrate, no internal filter, and the 3D background will be removed and the back painted black.

If I buy juvies around 2 inch, how long will they take to grow to around 4 inch?

Thatā€™s when Iā€™ll be moving up to a bigger tank for them

DIscus are not hard to breed. I had some breed in a community tank they are a lot like Angles. The Key to keeping discus is start off with good stock and buy the biggest you can afford. I would never buy fish under 3 inches ever again. I buy my Discus from a good source I trust and I get 3.5 - 5 in fish. I think 3.5" is the best size they seem to be very willing and ready to adjust.

The problem with Discus is they are not cheap and to do it right it is now cheap. I have 6 in a 100Gal they are all 4-5 inches I feed them 2 times a day and do 80% WC every 3 days. I also keep mine in a planted tank I find plants help keep the water Quality good. There is a be debate on discus in a planted tank. I am not getting into that.

190Liters is 50 Gal . I say you could get 5 Discus easy in that tank. 4 would be the Min. If you could find a breeding Pair that would be great in your 50Gal. Are you looking to keep any other fish with the Discus? That is what can cause problems.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back